BIAB black IPA kit, OG way too high

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pg89

Reaction score
Just finished brewing a 6.6% BIAB recipe kit from HBC called 'otto gey's black IPA'.
OG is supposed to be 1.063, FG 1.013, mine is about 1.086!

I started with 28.5l of water, fully drained the bag to 27l and boiled down to 23l.

I've already put it in the fermenter and dry pitched with Mangrove jacks m44 yeast

How will this likely turn out?

More likely to be an issue with your hydrometer reading, I would guess, so the outcome is most likely to be what you bought into in the first place. A Black IPA @ circa 6.6% ABV. :thumb:

Just finished brewing a 6.6% BIAB recipe kit from HBC called 'otto gey's black IPA'.
OG is supposed to be 1.063, FG 1.013, mine is about 1.086!

I started with 28.5l of water, fully drained the bag to 27l and boiled down to 23l.

I've already put it in the fermenter and dry pitched with Mangrove jacks m44 yeast

How will this likely turn out?

Reading this again, how did you get 27L of wort from only 28.5L of water and ~ 6 kg of grain?

More likely you got 24L in the boiler and it boiled down to about 18L, after hop debris.

Reading this again, how did you get 27L of wort from only 28.5L of water and ~ 6 kg of grain?

More likely you got 24L in the boiler and it boiled down to about 18L, after hop debris.

I'm only going by the rough guide on the side of the peco boiler, but I fill it to the 25l mark and then add 3.5l water with a measuring jug. I do it this way as it's the most water I can fit into the boiler with the full amount of grain, without having to sparge. With the grain bag added, the level of wort was very near the rim. I mashed at 65c for 1 hour, then drained the bag thoroughly and was left with over 25l of wort, I'd estimate about 26-27l. That then boiled down to about 23l, and I ended up with about 20l into the fermenter.

I'm only going by the rough guide on the side of the peco boiler, but I fill it to the 25l mark and then add 3.5l water with a measuring jug. I do it this way as it's the most water I can fit into the boiler with the full amount of grain, without having to sparge. With the grain bag added, the level of wort was very near the rim. I mashed at 65c for 1 hour, then drained the bag thoroughly and was left with over 25l of wort, I'd estimate about 26-27l. That then boiled down to about 23l, and I ended up with about 20l into the fermenter.

Hi pg89

That sounds OK, I guess. This Otto Gey likes a strong beer, from the sound of it.

On another tack, a large, cheap pot from Wilko enables a dunk sparge and this may get you better efficiencies and more control over your brewing process.

The 15L pot I have now seems to be marketed as a 12.5L pot, as this is the largest volume that might safely be boiled in it. I have found it invaluable for brewing kits, partial mashes and even with a Grainfather. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back