bikes you have to pedal.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I decided to spend my personal injury payout (I was run over from the left on a mini roundabout in 2020) to replace my worn out dawes sonoran - the first bike paid for by my claim.

At the time all I wanted was an equivalent replacement for my voyager 200. However despite direct line (the insured guilty parties' insurer) telling me from photos the bike was a write off... they backtracked. I bought the cheapest equivalent spec bike that was available - The Dawes sonoran. Direct line did not accept this. Bear in mind this was during COVID when EVERYONE wanted a bike because your were otherwise restricted to your locality. The voyager 200 was last available at £350 and the sonoran was £550. - so instead I went for a personal injury claim which cost them a lot more than £550 and didn't cost me a penny.

So in addition to the Sonoran the money stretched to these.... and I have about £500 spare.....

1683050406507.jpeg

So after the pre-amble we get to the crux of the matter....

The pinnacle lithium 3 is lower geared than my old sonoran and since I rarely if at all spun out in top gear I wanted something with a bit more hill climbing ability because #wales.

sonoran 48-38-28 on the chainwheel and 11-34 on the 8 speed cassette vs:
lithium 3 44-32-22 on the chainwheel and 11-34 on the 9 speed cassette.

So far I've found the lithium 3 to be like a hot hatch and it is lighter than the sonoran and I can feel it.

The e-bike on the other hand comes from Ceaya its their RX80 model and is branded burchda.

It feels like a Grand Tourer in comparison. Thing is it weights 33kg. I'm not sure if the 18AH 48V battery weight of 4.8kg is included. So a lot of the battery is used to propel this behemoth along. I can cycle to around 15 mph on the flat with NO power but getting up to speed is way more effort than the Lithium.

If you use the motor then it can be quicker to get to 15 than the lithium depending on which level of PAS you use.

I estimate I can get around 50 miles out of the battery which is what I could just about do on the sonoran. The difference being a much more plush and cushioned ride. It really is like cycling in an armchair. I cycled to mumbles to have a pint in mumbales.

1683053889272.jpeg

The big pull up the hill melted away, yet I still had a great workout returning up the gradual incline home on pas 1 or 2 (out of 9).

So in this instance the two bikes had different exercise profiles. A longer more sustained effort on the rx80 or a shorter more intense effort on the lithium.

Both bikes can go downhill at similar speeds yet with an ebike I did 14mph up mumbles hill rather than 8mph on a push bike therefore less annoyance for other road users and a quicker overall journey time.

Of course if you use a high PAS setting you're not going to get that level of exercise but you can choose what you want to put into a ride.

Which follows that any comments of "you don't get exercise on an e-bike" are not always true.

The plan is to use the e-bike for lazy long touring with the push-bike for a 'quick' nip down to the pub

Which follows that any comments of "you don't get exercise on an e-bike" are not always true.

The plan is to use the e-bike for lazy long touring with the push-bike for a 'quick' nip down to the pub

I love those fat tyre E bikes they look the business.

Anything that gets you off your **** and out in the fresh air has got to be a good thing even if you can cheat a little when the going gets tough, any excursive is better than non.

Nice looking bikes. Looking at the gear ratios on the Pinnacle you could pedal that up a wall. Just had a look at Evans Cycles website. If I was to buy a Pinnacle from them they'll only charge me 20 quid delivery to their own store. Wait, what...? They want me to pay them to deliver a bike to their own store in 3 to 7 days. No thanks.

Nice looking bikes. Looking at the gear ratios on the Pinnacle you could pedal that up a wall. Just had a look at Evans Cycles website. If I was to buy a Pinnacle from them they'll only charge me 20 quid delivery to their own store. Wait, what...? They want me to pay them to deliver a bike to their own store in 3 to 7 days. No thanks.
I've not tried peddling up a wall.... yet ;-)

as for their pricing £500 if you want the black (charcoal grey morelike) or £400 for the white version of the the same bike. It looks ghastly in white imo.

I love those fat tyre E bikes they look the business.

Anything that gets you off your **** and out in the fresh air has got to be a good thing even if you can cheat a little when the going gets tough, any excursive is better than non.

I'm going to take it easy tomorrow and take the pushbike out wink...

Q: How many bikes does a biker need?
A: N+1 where N is the number of bikes they already have.

Agree the white paint job doesn't suit it. Odd calling it a Lithium when it's not battery powered too.

I do a timed sprint around this little loop. 13.79mph on the old sonoran was my best time
17.35 mph on the rx80. I had pedal assist on. Ive not done the lithium yet.

1683448963798.png

What I found was it was easy to keep to a minimum of 15-16mph. the motor cuts out then. going up hill you can use a high pedal assist and lightly spin your legs to get your 15mph uphill then quickly change down with fresher legs to pedal downhill. Because you have already have momentum when reaching the crest of a hill you pickup speed quicker going down.

A camera clocked me at 22mph which was what the speedo said I was doing at the time. I did briefly manage 27mph. With a 48T chainring and an 8 speed cassette 11-34 My legs were at my maximum cadence I'd imagine fitter people could pedal it to a higher top speed. I have medication to restrict heart rate so I'm at my limits , still 27 is way more than I want to do on a regular basis so that's good.

The bike has a rattle despite the fat tyres and suspension cushioning the ride which I think is the disconnected throttle connector in the controller housing so I'll have to tie that down.

If you are looking for a fat tyre e-bike I strongly recommend you have a test ride of a cyrusher. You'll get a good feel of what they are like albiet some of their bikes have cheaper mechanical drivetrains (I just hate shimano tourney thumbshifters)

Latest posts

Back