Blackberry picking... What a day :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodleman

Reaction score
So, I geared up this morning for a few hours out and about picking blackberries to try and fill up several DJ's later this week.

I spent last weekend checking out where all the good spots were so it should have just been a simple job of go fetch. I get to my first field and start picking the berries. Not as many ready as I had hoped and they are small. However I managed to get around 1KG here before I moved on.

Field 2 was my hot spot. I knew there were some EPIC patches of berries which should be ready. as I get to the field my heart sinks..... they have only bloody cut the hedges! I inspected the damage, about 97% of all the berries were gone :(

This is a large field. its about a 2 mile walk around it. I did the walk in hopes of finding some other untouched patches, as luck would have it I found a few. I managed to perhaps collect another 1KG over the entire field perimeter.

I knew there was an orchard near by and I suspected they wouldn't have done anything to the hedges there, so I made another 1 mile walk to the other spot which I hadn't inspected. Jackpot! Berries EVERYWHERE. the only downside is only about 10% of them are ready, so I had to be picky (no pun intended). I took a few images along the way. Here are the hedges.

There are lots of berries this thick for about 1 mile of hedges. next weekend will be an epic picking journey!
berries2.jpg

I managed to get about 4KG from here. I suspect next weekend will be much different as they will be ready.. Fill the buckets! :D

Now, I am a country boy at heart, I love being surrounded by the fields and green. So when I set off today I expected to run into some bugs whilst picking, however I did not expect to run into the next two critters. I picked a berry and dropped it into the container, however these two were both on that berry. I don't mind spiders.. but these guys looked evil!

can anybody identify them?
spiders1.jpg

spiders2.jpg

spiders3.jpg

I also stumbled across this guy. So cool! Looks like a leaf, but is actually a butterfly.
butterfly.jpg

and then I came across this dude :), he ran away shortly after I was spotted
deer.jpg

deer1.jpg

There is also a large number of the following fruits, I suspect after doing some google searches these are Damson plums? Can anybody confirm? good for wine? There must be about 10-15KG in the area I found them.
berries.jpg

Ord web spider,crab spider and a Comma butterfly........ ;)

piddledribble said:
Ord web spider,crab spider and a Comma butterfly........ ;)

Coooooooooool! thank you :)

Found this out, amazing things those crab spiders.
Crab spiders are able to change their body colour to match their background. It can take a few days, but they can appear white, yellow or green. They sometimes have two faint red lines running along the abdomen, but these are not always visible. The male is much smaller than the female.

The crab spider sits on flowers waiting for insects to land close by, and then pounces on them - trapping them between their crab-like front legs.

Latest posts

Back