Boots "best before Feb 97" stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judge6

Reaction score
used to brew years ago in previous house, kids grown up and found in attic old equipment; so started again and found in shed beer kit Boots Stout and bottom of can best before Feb 97. so gave it a go, put some spanish in it and fresh yeast. racked it into barrell over weekend and had sneak taste just. not too bad, body and flavour there, just need sparkle. now children, all over 18 keen to turn house into brewery. Pilsner on and red and white wine. roll on summer !!!!!

Sell by dates are usually for the yeast, so if you use fresh yeast should be ok
paul
keg9 homebrews
:cheers:
judge6 said:
used to brew years ago in previous house, kids grown up and found in attic old equipment; so started again and found in shed beer kit Boots Stout and bottom of can best before Feb 97. so gave it a go, put some spanish in it and fresh yeast. racked it into barrell over weekend and had sneak taste just. not too bad, body and flavour there, just need sparkle. now children, all over 18 keen to turn house into brewery. Pilsner on and red and white wine. roll on summer !!!!!

will give you update when its ready. hope to prove the sceptics wrong.

Hi,

I have no idea how safe what your doing is but you may wish to consider that the beer inside the can may not be safe for consumption now. Metal from the can could dissolve into the food substances over time (especially if foods are acidic, or the can is damaged/dented/corroded). After a quick search a number of internet sources don't recommend keeping tinned food items for more than 5 years! (even if in perfect condition)

That said you may be the luckiest guy going and everything is ok!.... But a Boots equivalent kit today wouldn't cost much, and what price on your health? Afterall if metals are present in the beer it may not cause any noticable damage straight away.

Good luck :thumb:

thanks for that advice, your right, not worth the risk, but could not resist when I opened the can and it looked OK.
will definitely take great care that only I drink it (and without sounding flippant) if its OK then whooooooooo

Last week my Dad offered me a bottle of wine he made in 1969!!!! Really not sure if its good idea :wha: He did add a corking machine to the offer though :party:

Back