Bottle Drainer/Tree - Which to buy?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavaChild

Reaction score
Hello!

A bottle drainer/tree is the next on my list (sorry!). I don't think it's essential but about the most non-essential thing on my list of otherwise essential items!

Unfortunately homebrew websites don't seem to be as... comprehensive... as other online stores I'm used to. Few stores mention the manufacturer or specifications of the unit (namely, if it rotates). So... Can anybody recommend a bottle drainer/tree they have actually used and/or own?

From a search it seems 'Ferrari' are the best, and they offer stationary and rotating variants. Max size is 90 bottles but it seems the number of bottles only differ by the number of 'rings' and therefore a larger tree can be used to make a smaller one instead. Therefore, the 90 tree seems a good bet. I assume rotating is better? Is this the case? The trouble is I'm having difficulty finding a decent price UK supplier for the 90 bottle rotating Ferrari.

Additionally, I wanrt a model that I can attach a bottle sanitiser to.

Which shop and/or product do you recommend?

Thank you!!

I have a Ferrari, probably 80 bottle. It doesn't rotate and I don't know why I'd need it to. I also don't put the rinser on the tree. I have the tree on the draining board and the rinser in the sink.

I have this rinser:
https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/bottl ... p-580.html

and this tree:
https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/bottl ... p-238.html

Both from the Forum sponser link at the top of the page and both are fine. My tree doesnt look quite like the one in the image though, as it has a black base and green tower.
Personally I wouldn't be too worried about which brand it is, as they should all do the same job.

Having loaded the 81 bottle tree with just over 40 bottles, I also wouldn't want it to rotate in case it went flying. It will be a huge/heavy lump if fully loaded and best to be left stationary IMHO!! :thumb:

Maysie said:
Having loaded the 81 bottle tree with just over 40 bottles, I also wouldn't want it to rotate in case it went flying. It will be a huge/heavy lump if fully loaded and best to be left stationary IMHO!! :thumb:

+1. I loaded my 45 bottle tree up last night, and to be honest I gave up with the rotating bit after loading up the first two levels. It does get heavy and just seems a lot better to work around it rather than rotating it!

I use the bottom rack from my dishwasher. I easily get 40+ bottles on it.
Just take it out, sit it on the drainer and stack it up.
Once your bottles are dried out it goes back into the dishwasher.. one less piece of kit to have sitting around.

I have the rinser and 45 bottle tree from the home brew company, and it's one of the best things I have bought. I rotate mine as I'm filling it but I know it's on a flat surface.

LavaChild said:
A bottle drainer/tree is the next on my list...
A bottle tree is a great thing to have if you bottle. I bought the 45 bottle "Ferrari" model from Ballihoo, plus the "Avvinatore" bottle rinser that sits on top, although I only put it there for storage - I use it in the sink. The base of the tree is about 40cm wide, and its about 50cm high. The bottles will require a bit more space above that. I put it on the draining board, and rotate it to get at the ones at the back. I put caps on the base, which catches sanitiser run-off. The bottle rinser works best if you have a sanitiser that works very quickly - eg Videne or Star San. I started out with Sodium Percarbonate, but that requires 10 minutes contact time!

The 80 bottle model is about the same price as the 45 bottle model on Ballihoo, but I doubt I could fit it on my draining board due to the overhanging cupboards, and my batches aren't that big anyway, so I think the 45 bottle model is the right one for me.

It seems to fit 500ml and 330ml bottles fine.

If you're into DIY, you could probably build you own tree out of plastic or metal - I think I saw one on the 'net somewhere - maybe youtube.

M

I have the 45 bottle Ferrari, rotates fine when full and I carry it fine when full between the kitchen and shed.

Will12283 said:
I have the rinser and 45 bottle tree from the home brew company, and it's one of the best things I have bought. I rotate mine as I'm filling it but I know it's on a flat surface.
Me too , from a bottle day job of swilling and sterilising than may of taken around an hour to do will now take 15 mins , worth every penny (get star san , brilliant stuff)

I've been using the 80 bottle version for the last 15 years and it still rotates.
I made a plywood base and put heavy duty castors on it so the loaded tree can be wheeled around the garage from sink to bottling bench.
Perfect for 50lt batches.

Will do a picture thing when I get home.

Latest posts

Back