Bottle Sanitisation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yes I nearly had the bottom half of my wand go down the sink when cleaning.it. after root g in the cupboard I found a mesh guard that goes over the hole. So guess what I ensure is in place now when I do the bottling.

I rinse'n'shake 3 times after drinking and in the oven before bottling. Bottling bucket gets a kettle full of boiling water down the sides before bottling, at an angle and while rotating it. Then it goes through the tap and out over the rim, also rotating to ensure the whole surface gets a few seconds contact with boiling water. Then drained and sprayed with star san. Siphon tube gets some boiling water through it via a funnel and sprayed with star san. Bottling wand and sediment trap get star san. After bottling everything gets rinsed with warm water and wiped clean if needed, then sprayed. Twice a year or so I soak everything in oxy. This is quick enough and fingers crossed hasn't caused any trouble yet.

• I put bottle caps into the reservoir of the above thing to sanitise them

In terms of your sanitation steps, I cant add anything to what others have said. However, I understand that if you are using the oxygen scavenging crown caps (which I suspect you will be), these should not be introduced to water/moister (i.e. sanitised) before being used to cap your bottle. Contact with moisture activates and uses up their oxygen scavenging properties and apparently the reaction happens within minutes. I know this sounds mad and counter intuitive but I've heard it discussed and confirmed by JZ and John Palmer on the Brew Strong podcast.

@Clint I hear you indeed. I was surprised when I heard this myself. I suppose it depends what you value more; the sanitation of the cap or it's oxygen scavenging properties.

Can't see oxygen scavenging crown caps making much difference to homebrewers. The majority will have high levels of Dissolved oxygen for it not make any difference.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back