Glass or Plastic for Bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my Belgian dubbel in pet bottles for about 10 months and got 3rd at the table in BLAM last year when them

As an update - it occurs to me that when bottling with a PET I squeeze the air out before putting the cap on which clearly can't be done with a glass bottle!, so would that very small amount of air make the difference?

There was a post last year where a forum member showed the effect of a reduced headspace on a bottle conditioned Neipa. If I was bottling I would have very little headspace whether glass or plastic.

I usually bottle 2-3 PETs to check carbonation. I've compared squeezed ones to normally capped ones. No appreciable difference apart from seeing the distorted squeezed bottle reform as pressure rises.
Maybe a long term difference but I always drink the PETs first so who knows?

I do. It's trivial to do and reduces the oxygen. What not do it?
My point was it's not an issue worth worrying about. Certainly not enough to warrant a particular type of bottle.

The yeast will sort it out anyway.

To be fair most processes foam a little, so very little ingress in 21% the remaining few millimeters.

As an update - it occurs to me that when bottling with a PET I squeeze the air out before putting the cap on which clearly can't be done with a glass bottle!, so would that very small amount of air make the difference?
I think it might. I've started leaving less than 1cm headspace in my glass bottles of hoppy beers and they're does seem to be a difference.
As an aside, on opening these bottles, there's hardly any, if any, hiss. I thought they might be flat but they pour into the glass and produce as good a head as other bottles with more headspace.

There used to be a fashion of telling newcomers to use at least one PET bottle so they could judge when the beer says carbonated. Does anybody still do this? Have you noticed any difference in flavour?

My point was it's not an issue worth worrying about. Certainly not enough to warrant a particular type of bottle.

The yeast will sort it out anyway.

To be fair most processes foam a little, so very little ingress in 21% the remaining few millimeters.
Yeast doesn't always sort it out. Especially for hoppy brews. If I use PET bottles for hoppy ales, I squeeze the air out. If I use glass, I fill to within 1cm of the top (see the long thread about headspace). I've noticed it does make a difference (for hoppy beers) so is worth spending the extra second per bottle to improve the beer.

I always put a few in plastics anyway as its easier to check on carbonation.

For hoppy ales OK.

It won't be any surprise that I don't feel the need to religiously check carbonation 🤣

Last edited:
There have been discussions in the past about whether using PET bottles not designed to hold alcohol is safe the thoughts being chemicals used in their manufacture could contaminate the beer, wine or cider there was never any concrete evidence either way, I moved to 750ml screw top glass bottles shortky after as I prefer glass and if the above mentioned chemicals are an issue its one less thing that will kill me. ;)

Thats good point chippy. And really comes good, if you intend to store them a bit longer. PET is gas permiable.

And there is a loads of free glass and the planet could do with less plastic. WIN. WIN.

Back