Brewday 13th June 2010 - Effin North German Pilsner - Part 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
Well carrying on from the original brew day on the 8th . . . here is the big batch . . . Everything was going swimmingly until I discovered that I had only ordered 90g of Pacific Hallertau from Ross not 180 as I originally thought :evil: . . . but a bit of creative thinking meant the recipe was modified to.. . . . Substituting Some Nelson Sauvin for the missing Hallertau.

70l at 1.046 and 39 IBU

13120g Lager Malt
880g Carapils

28g NZ Pacific Hallertau (Pellets) 4.4% AA FWH
47g NZ Nelson Sauvin (pellets) 4.4% AA FWH
40g Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.1% AA 90 Minutes
100g Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.1% AA 15 Minutes
70g Hallertau Hersbrucker 2.8% 70C Steep.

It raises the IBU by a bit to a theoretical 41 (from 39) hardly worth worrying about.

Anyway Piccy fest The first is underletting 30L of Liquor into the mash tun

Underletting.jpg

Which made for an interesting time as the 14Kg of grain decided to try and make a bid for freedom. It was a struggle initially to really stir the grain in, but with 3 minutes it was a nice thick porridge . . .even if it did nearly overflow the mash tun
Mash01.jpg
Mash02.jpg

But I was pretty close on mash pH and the strike heat although low was easily sorted with the HERMS . . . Happy with it being so low as I want a Crisp beer anyway.

MashpH.jpg
StrikeTemp.jpg

Here is the HERMS Configuration, with a close up of the Initial Recirc and the HERMS return. . . . I must invest in a better manifold some time :D

HERMS.jpg
InitialWort.jpg
HERMSReturn.jpg

After 90 minutes the wort has cleared well, and is transferred to the copper (s) with the First Wort Hops. . .

ClearRecirc.jpg
FWH01.jpg
FWH02.jpg

Here is the sparge Manifold

Sparging.jpg

The wort 'Coppering Up', the wort is allowed to boil with 'no' hops for 10 minutes until the foam subsides, then the bittering addition is added. The FWH helps to control foam production and also makes boil overs less likely . . . Never look away though . . . with 19KW under each kettle it's all too easy :lol:

CopperUp01.jpg
CopperUp02.jpg

75 minutes later its time to add a big handful of flavour hops (which also add a chunk of Bittering ~ 30%)

FlavourHops01.jpg
FlavourHops02.jpg

It was about this time I discovered that I had not turned off my lighter for the Bullfinch . . . Can you guess how??

"F*CK! Thats Hot!"

ThatsHot.jpg

Just as the Boil Finished It started raining . . . Here is Toni rigging the all important Wort Protector

Raining01.jpg
Raining02.jpg
Raining03.jpg

Wort was quickly chilled to 70C and the steep hops added and left for 20 Minutes

70CSteep.jpg

Then Chilling was restarted until the wort was under 25C . . . . The Chilling coils were removed for cleaning . . . and the wort tucked up ready to transfer to the FV. . . . once the rain has stopped :roll:

Chilling.jpg
CleaningUp.jpg
TuckedUp.jpg

I'm going to watch the Grand Prix, Do some washing up and tidying up in the Kitchen where Hopefully I will warm up . . . and dry off.

A brand new delicacy, Tony's hot & spicy balls :rofl: .
There I was, trying to be sympathetic with tears running down my face. I was sincere, honest :whistle:

Great post aleman :clap: Glad to see i`m not the only one to use the old brolly trick ;) however using an electric boiler i also have to put the extension socket in a plastic bag :lol:

its a good job you explained the stain tony I was thinking "follow through all the way" :rofl:

when's the new copper getting a run out you have had it a while now!

Good set of photo's by the way

UP

unclepumble said:
When's the new copper getting a run out you have had it a while now!
Just waiting to see how much cash I had available after our holiday. . . . as I want to order a new burner (the bullfinch is not suitable . . . man enough but will be very inefficient), and am thinking of having a heat shroud made for it to help with efficiency.

Just ordered this one from Hamilton Gas

The inner burner ring is 200mm in diameter so misses that 75mm centre drain . . . . It's rated to 11KW so should be man enough for the job although Peter at Hamilton gas reckons it will take 5-6 hours to bring 150L or water to the boil . . . So I said It wasn't 11KW if that was the case :lol: I've got a 50-150mbar reg coming as well (The burner is rated to 50mbar :whistle: ) which can deliver 4Kg of gas an hour (Just like my 2bar reg) so it's going to be an interesting experiment.

I'm going to make a couple of hop stoppers for it as well - 6" in diameter (to avoid the heating zone of the inner burner) probably out of #40 mesh so that I can use pellets a little more.

Anyone want to buy a twin Keggle Gas copper set up ? :whistle:

Final set of pictures from the actual brew day itself, Here is the wort settling as I was running it off in the FV

RunningOff01.jpg
RunningOff01.jpg

Close up of the filth.

Filth.jpg

It's steadily fermenting at 12C and is sat at 1.041 from 1.054 after 3 days

Quick update . . . Steady fermentation has seen it now reach 1.028 after 7 Days. . . . From a 1.053) beer I am expecting the primary fermentation take (53/4) around 13 Days, and as it has fallen 25 points in the 7 days it should have no problems going to 1.010 (18 point drop) in the remaining 6 days.

Well now looking at 13/14 days from pitching and the Gravity is 7.5 Brix with a hydrometer reading of 1.014 . . . Giving 5.4% abv . . .Temperature dropped to 8C today . . . Give it another 24/36 hours and drop it down to 4C for 7 more days . . . then auxilliary and isinglass finings before kegging . . . and lagering

Latest posts

Back