Brewday : Twin Rhombus Sun 11/01/09

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought them from Norm over 2 months ago and he'd charged them up. I had to fully release the gas (and there was alot) before I cleaned and then reassembled so I'm quite confident they're ok.

After tasting it's still sweet from the priming sugar though.

I'm testing whether they leak though by charging with CO2 and leaving another couple of days.

If it's not leaking can I add some yeast? I don't want it to remain sweet. :hmm: :thumb:

There should be enough yeast still in suspension to have dealt with the priming sugars. Where is the keg, might be worth a warm up?

Thats really odd mate, I agree with V sounds like a leak :( try the old washing up liquid around the seals etc & gas it up trick to see if you can spot gas coming out

I bought them from Norm over 2 months ago and he'd charged them up. I had to fully release the gas (and there was alot) before I cleaned and then reassembled so I'm quite confident they're ok.

I think you'll be surprised. Corny's are not designed to seal at low pressures, in fact they nearly always leak. You can buy special soft lid o-rings that will seal at low temps though.

You might be able to get it to seal by pressurising to say 40 psi, then the C02 from secondary ferment might keep the seal, but it's a long shot.

:thumb: :thumb:

So if I charge them up a bit they should be ok?

I'll taste again in a few days.

Thanks for the advise on low pressure sealing. I'll keep that in mind and check in future. :thumb: :thumb:

So if I charge them up a bit they should be ok?

Assuming it's the lid, yep, it should work, it usually does for me. Sometimes you can get awkward lid/seal combo's though.
Another thing I try is to lift the corny lid handle upwards, allowing the lid to relax slightly in position, and wiggle the handle slightly from side to side. Sometimes this helps the seal to bed in, if it hasn't previously. Or, you may try to loosen the lid of of the keg and relock it into position.
Hopefully one of these will work for you. It's usually only 'awkward ' kegs that won't seal at low pressures, despite what I said before, but I never take them sealing for granted.

I use a pressure gauge to test my corny's pressure, I'll try and find a picture.
Here it is. It's an accurate tyre pressure gauge. I snipped the tyre valve attachment of the end and put a 'gas' qd on it. It reads from 4 psi. I have left these attached to a corny, when I've suspected I might have a leak.
Here's the Gauge
CIMG1713225x300.jpg

Well less than 2 weeks after this was brewed I'm enjoying my first pint of it :oops: low beer stocks being the reason :lol:

It still has some clearing up to do visually but it's a really nice pint, loads of mouthfeel not too bitter it actually tastes a bit like "Bass" next time i'd add some late hops to this, it's the only thing missing for me.

I'll add a pic of a pint.....when it's cleared :grin:

How's that Twin Rhombus now Wez. Mine's tasting better already.

Have you dry hopped the other keg yet? :thumb:

It's very nice, a great session beer, loads of mouthfeel.

Glad yours is on the up, did you sort the hop issue out?

Not dry hopped yet, waiting on a small hops sack :thumb:

Yes sorted it out. Emptied the keg, cleaned and then refilled.

I'll be putting them in the garage in the next couple of days (the Crossbreed too)

I've just got the Exmoor Gold clone (I'm calling Sandyback Gold)

Have you ordered a hop sack? I have three and you're welcome to have one if you haven't ordered any yet. I got mine off ebay for a couple of quid. :thumb:

Back