Brewferm ambiorix

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poochops

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've got one of these to put on and I hear that the kit works better at a higher temperature than a regular brew, warmest room in my house is the utility room and the temp in there varies from 20-28 depending on the tumble drier and washing machine, so I was wondering if the fluctuating temperature was a problem or not? It's 24 in there at the mo and might drop to 20 on a night or if the machines are busy it could go 28 all over a 24 hour period.
Thanks

Your beer will have quite some thermal mass, so your ambient fluctuations will be less than that experienced by your brew. I think your brew will be fine in the utility room.

I've got this in the FV now it's had about ten days and probably a few days left to finish, I'm going on holiday next Saturday for two weeks so I'm planning on bottling it after we get back, I was wondering if it would be better to rack it into a new FV or leave it on the yeast? Will have been nearly six weeks by the time I bottle it.
Thanks
Si

I would in all honesty get it in the bottles in the next few days. my brew took about 10 days to get to where I knew it was finished, and if your have been in 20 degree plus temps then check with your hydro, more then likely finished. 6 weeks is a long time prior to bottling. by the time you go it will be nearly three weeks in the FV

If you really cant get it bottled I would transfer it off the yeast for the two week.

What fg did you get with yours? I'm only at 1.014 at the moment (OG was 1.066)

Think if it's the same on Wednesday I might bottle it. It's just reading that I was about this 2/2/2 rule of thumb, is the conditioning portion supposed to be in the bottle or in a secondary FV?
Thanks.

I did this kit at the start of June and ended up with an FG of 1.012 although the OG was lower than yours at 1.060. I think I racked it off the yeast after about a week as suggested in the instructions but don't know if that made any difference.

I left it another week then bottled it and left it in the same room as it fermented in for two weeks to carbonate, then down in my cellar since then to condition.

Right thanks if it's stable then I'll get it bottled, if not stable then I'll rack it before we go and bottle it when we get back, I was planning on not touching it till Christmas so it'll have plenty of time to carb up and condition. What has yours come out like, have you tasted it yet?

I did try a bottle a couple of weeks ago and to be honest I didn't think it had that much taste. I've seen that Brewferm kits do take a while to come good so hopefully it will develop more with age.

What did you add to the kit? I used about 650g of golden syrup and 500g of medium dme.

This and the Oud Bruin are probably the best of the Brewferm kits I reckon. They all have a very similar flavour sitting in the background though.

That's good to hear. I bottled an Oud Bruin last month but not tried one yet.

I did try a bottle a couple of weeks ago and to be honest I didn't think it had that much taste. I've seen that Brewferm kits do take a while to come good so hopefully it will develop more with age.

What did you add to the kit? I used about 650g of golden syrup and 500g of medium dme.

I tasted mine checking the gravity yesterday and thought it was very promising TBH with you, added 500g of brew enhancer, 500g of golden syrup and about 400g of dark brown sugar. Just moved it to a warmer room and give it a stir see if I can get the last few degrees out of it. If it's still stable on Thursday I'll either bottle it or rack it, I keep changing my mind!

I transferred mine to a bottling bucket to batch prime and straight into bottles. have only tried one at the two week stage to check the carb and enjoyed it. the rest are away and will not be touched until Christmas.

Just tried another bottle and it is much better than the earlier ones. Nice and malty with a typical Belgian flavour. It may be that the extra couple of weeks has made the difference but I also had this one straight from the cellar. I'd put the previous ones in the fridge for a couple of hours to stop them gushing when opened and that could have muted the taste a bit.

Latest posts

Back