BrewFerm Triple

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reburner

Reaction score
Started this yesterday. My last kit before I join the darkside.

Was going to make some Candy sugar but had a bag of light spraymalt handy so used that instead. Mixed everything up and was going out for the day so left it to pitch the yeast until I got home last night.
Got in about 11pm, gave it a good stir and threw in the yeast.

Got up at 7 this morning to find the most ginormous foam head I have ever seen. It looks like a beast is trying to escape from the FV. Luckily it is only a 9 litre kit in a 25 litre FV.

be prepared to leave it a long time to mature in the bottle. I have 7 bottles of their Grand Cru that was bottled in September, regret the 4 or 5 bottles I drank after only 2 months when it was ok, 'cos it's bloody lovely now :drink:

Yep I was aiming to bottle it and then put a don't drink before 6 months time date on it. Wish I'd doubled up on the kit now.

Have also just put this one on using brown sugar.
Lived in Belgium for 10 years, quite a fan of "trippel" so intrigued to know how this one goes.

So far I have not been a big fan of single-tin kits, though, I have to say.

But if it is any good then I will also wish I had doubled up - 9 litres won't last long if it does turn out well, and it's a waste of half a cornie.

Question: talking of which, shall I add the second batch of sugar in a Cornie? is it just for the carbonation or does it add more to the flavour?

Thanks.

marco491 said:
Have also just put this one on using brown sugar.
Lived in Belgium for 10 years, quite a fan of "trippel" so intrigued to know how this one goes.

So far I have not been a big fan of single-tin kits, though, I have to say.

But if it is any good then I will also wish I had doubled up - 9 litres won't last long if it does turn out well, and it's a waste of half a cornie.

Question: talking of which, shall I add the second batch of sugar in a Cornie? is it just for the carbonation or does it add more to the flavour?

Thanks.

The second batch of sugar is usually just for carbonation (altho won't say definitely, as not 100% sure). But, I would say, why both putting in a cornie? Since it's only 9l, that's only 18 bottles, or 27 330ml bottles... Since these beers usually take a while to condition (it's usually stated to wait at least 4 months, usually 6), then that's a long time to be without a cornie... Especially if it's only put to half use...

Thanks - I think I'll try without the extra sugar then and carb it up in the cornie. Messed up a pale ale that way before, would rather too dry than too sweet.

And yes, I know re the cornie but I'm not into bottling (yet); I am used to waiting 8+ weeks but TBH not 6 months; and I bought the kit before I realised it was only half a batch.

I know the bottling fraternity will scoff at my short-termism, but that's as long as I'll want to tie the cornie up for. I'll try the brew when it's green - I'm sure it will be drinkable, if not mature - and anyway it's the summer - then I'll put it down as a lesson learned.

For interest I'll post how it tastes.
Thanks again,
m.

Latest posts

Back