Brewing Cider -Lots of help needed!!! :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am completely new to home brewing! I was hoping I could possibly get a push in the right direction :) ..I just have a few questions and if anyone has any additional info it would be greatly appreciated!

First of all... equiptment!
I currently have the following:

Fermentation bin
mixing paddle
Syphon
Steriliser
Hydrometer
Bottles
One of those things with water in that lets air get out but not get in (apologies for lack of terminology!)

Do I need anything else or is there anything here that I don't need?... Is there any way to get around not using a hydrometer or is it standard?

Also: Would you recommend using fresh fruit juice (you get the fruit, press it, sift it...) OR can I just buy cartons of normal fruit juice? If yes, does it matter wether it is from concentrate or not?

After the initial brewing stage do I need to add the liquid to demijohns? If yes, what is the reason for this?

Also, should I got for a "cider kit" or do it all from scratch? If I was to do it from scratch, I would need general purpose wine yeast, juice, and sugar... is that all?

Sorry if some of this sounds very obvious or anything, like I mentioned before I have never brewed before, and any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Dee :)

Hi Dee, and welcome to the forum :cheers:
Dee said:
One of those things with water in that lets air get out but not get in (apologies for lack of terminology!)
It's called an airlock, otherwise known as a bubbler or a trap, lets carbon dioxide out but prevents flies etc.from getting in.

Dee said:
Do I need anything else or is there anything here that I don't need?... Is there any way to get around not using a hydrometer or is it standard?
It sounds like you've got everything you need to start with. :thumb:
Give the hydrometer a try, it can help you work out your alcohol percentage, but most importantly, it will tell you when it's safe to bottle your brew.

Dee said:
Also: Would you recommend using fresh fruit juice (you get the fruit, press it, sift it...) OR can I just buy cartons of normal fruit juice? If yes, does it matter whether it is from concentrate or not?
If you wanted to make proper cider you would need some form of ‘scratter’ (for smashing the apples to bits) and a (bought or home made) juice press. Besides which, assuming you're in the UK, you're too late for this year.

If you're making Turbo Cider, shop bought apple juice is fine and pressed would be preferable to “from concentrate”. And yes, it's just juice, a bit of sugar and a cider, ale or wine yeast.

Dee said:
After the initial brewing stage do I need to add the liquid to demijohns? If yes, what is the reason for this?
That depends on timescale, and as I'm not a cider maker I will let someone else advise. I also can't comment on cider kits as I've never tried one.

Hi & welcome!

Sounds like you've got the basics. :thumb:

If you want to try a really simple apple-juice-from carton-cider then follow this:

4.5 litres of apple juice (make sure it's juice, not juice drink), Lidl do 1.5 litre cartons at 84p each - that'll do you a demijohn.

Fill demijohn, add 1/2 a dozen teaspoons of sugar (you don't have to, the yeast will act on the juices sugar but I add it to kick start it and to increase the alcohol a tad) and some cider yeast (normally about 1/3 sachet works for me), put the bubbler on and that is it! Bung it somewhere warm for ten days.

Check it and when it's had about 7-10 days it should have stopped bubbling noticably, then syphon it directly into bottles with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in each one. Crown Cap them and leave somewhere warm for about 2 weeks.

That'll give you 9 bottles of a really simple slightly fizzy but nice and clear cider to keep in the emergency supplies while you experiment with other things... :cheers:

NUMBER 1 RULE - STERILISE EVERYTHING AND PLAN AHEAD - do that and you shouldn't go far wrong.

Number 2 rule is that the only stupid question is the one you don't aks that ends up in you ditching your brew down the drain! :grin:

Thanks! I think I will give that recipe a quick try before moving onto something more "serious" :)

evanvine said:
Welcome to the Forum.
There is only one thing I would add, a second fermenting bucket, it makes life a lot easier.
...a second fermenting bucket, what for? Just for more volumes of cider or is it to transfer the cider? Explain please :)

Just one more question... Do I actually need a mixing paddle or can I use a large spoon?
Thanks again, you've all been a great help :)

Can I use normal sugar or does it have to be anythin specific?

you can use tate and lyle :thumb: its cane sugar which is better than silvespoon which is from beet.

Grumpy Jack said:
Hi & welcome!
Crown Cap them and leave somewhere warm for about 2 weeks.

Can I just use normal plastic bottles with screw-on lids? (sterilised of course)?
I am off to buy the last few bits this evening (juice and camden tablets)... can't wait to get started!

I have two small 2L demijohns to start off with... just for a try. I'm picking up four 4.5L demijohns on Thursday, and then I shall start brewing some serious stuff! :drink:

Have any of you ever used blackcurrants juice (from carton -"turbo") for brewing? :mrgreen:

Plastic bottles should be fine, if they're of the fizzy drink variety then they will take the pressure of a brew so shouldn't be any problem at all.
I just got mates who have no ability to taste anything decent to collect all their Bulmers and Magners bottles for me and then I crown cap them - sorted. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back