Bridestone & Wood Mash Hopped ALE BREWDAY 12/12/10

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclepumble

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have been looking for a beer to use up some Galaxy Hops on and this Aussie recipe looks interesting, therefore hopefully will get this on this weekend, all being well. edit, I have no wheat malt so am going to alter the recipe a bit.

Stone and Wood Clone
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 23.00 L

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.80 kg Pale Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.87 %
1.80 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (1.8 SRM) Grain 39.13 %
10.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 3.5 IBU
5.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 9.6 IBU
10.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (20 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
12.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
35.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
40.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 items Protofloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05 ) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.43 %
Bitterness: 21.8 IBU Calories: 430 cal/l
Est Color: 3.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out 76.0 C
Batch sparge 78C

Mash hop? what's that then? :wha:

Hope it goes well :thumb:

I've yet to attempt a step mash or decoction one for that matter (the decoction one seems really complicated)
:cheers:

bishopsfinger said:
Looks good UP :thumb:
What's the Galaxy aroma like? with 35g aroma-hop-steep and 40g dry hop it must be a winner?

Galaxy is a fantastic hop it gives you citrus and with late addition a real passionfruit flavour, its quite an exotic hop to use as you can only get it from australia by mail order, I bought mine from craftbrewer at the top of the page.

I have been researching Mash hopping, it looks like an interesting concept I have not come across before, but it appears to be something that has been developed in germany many years ago.

The research suggests putting your late addition aroma/flavour hops in the mash rather than at the end of the brew, & use double what you would normally use at the end of brew.
It also suggests to up the bittering hop a little as mash hops will reduce the IBU level of the beer.

Apparently due to the favorable Ph levels and temperature in the mash the flavour/aroma hop oils develop permanent bonds , that are temperature stable even during the violent boil.

The resultant beer is incredibly hoppy in aroma and flavour but a very smooth hop profile.

I am going to give it a go and see what happens I have 600g of hops to play with so if it turns out crappy I'm not bothered.

The beer I brew will also not have the wheat in it, as the HBS I was going to buy it from was closed yesterday.

now just got to find when I can fit it in today or tomorrow :hmm:

UP

unclepumble said:
bishopsfinger said:
Looks good UP :thumb:
What's the Galaxy aroma like? with 35g aroma-hop-steep and 40g dry hop it must be a winner?

Galaxy is a fantastic hop it gives you citrus and with late addition a real passionfruit flavour, its quite an exotic hop to use as you can only get it from australia by mail order, I bought mine from craftbrewer at the top of the page.

I have been researching Mash hopping, it looks like an interesting concept I have not come across before, but it appears to be something that has been developed in germany many years ago.

The research suggests putting your late addition aroma/flavour hops in the mash rather than at the end of the brew, & use double what you would normally use at the end of brew.
It also suggests to up the bittering hop a little as mash hops will reduce the IBU level of the beer.

Apparently due to the favorable Ph levels and temperature in the mash the flavour/aroma hop oils develop permanent bonds , that are temperature stable even during the violent boil.

The resultant beer is incredibly hoppy in aroma and flavour but a very smooth hop profile.

I am going to give it a go and see what happens I have 600g of hops to play with so if it turns out crappy I'm not bothered.

The beer I brew will also not have the wheat in it, as the HBS I was going to buy it from was closed yesterday.

now just got to find when I can fit it in today or tomorrow :hmm:

UP

That's some good research :thumb:

I had wondered how the hop flavour and aroma would be carried through to the finished product as it would normally be driven off by the boil. However, from what you have said about the oils developing permanent bonds in the mash that would explain it.

I'll be interested as to how this turn out :thumb: :cheers:

unclepumble said:

UP
Hi Unc,
I'll be interested to hear how this mash hopping turns out.

BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
unclepumble said:

UP
Hi Unc,
I'll be interested to hear how this mash hopping turns out.

BB

Its probably a load of old cobblers, but I have plenty of galaxy to hand so why not give it a go heh.

UP

in fact if you allow the hops access to air for a week or so to allow the compounds to oxidise then that should be even more beneficial.

Do you mean opening the bag for a week before adding the aroma hops?

It was something some mad US brewers came up with following the rediscovery of 'First Wort Hopping'. (Which did come out of Germany). FWH is adding the 15 minute aroma addition to the copper as you start to run off, the long soak at favourable pH levels somehow 'fixes' the aroma compounds (Actually the beta acids and other aroma compounds oxidise. then during maturation they are reduced producing a long lasting aroma) to develop a better aroma profile. and a less harsh bitterness. The US Brewers thought that as that was so beneficial why not add (pellet) hops to the mash and made all sorts of claims as to how good it is. They've gone quiet now though.

You'll get a better effect adding them late or steeping, in fact if you allow the hops access to air for a week or so to allow the compounds to oxidise then that should be even more beneficial.

Well I got the base recipe from an aussie site, mash hops were in the recipe so I looked on a few places on the net and they all appeared to think the technique came from a german brew that was only decocted not fully boiled. I did read the american's posts about pellets being better end of.

Not a great deal of research I admit but enough to interest me into trying it.

I don't really give a tosh whether it is a waste of time or not, I have the stuff and am inclined to try it at least the once :ugeek:

Thanks for the input though :cheers:

UP

GRAINS WEIGHED OUT, HLT ON READY TO GO.

CHANGED MY MIND ON RECIPE AGAIN SO BELOW IS WHAT GETS BREWED TODAY.

BRIDESTONE AND WOOD

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
78.3 4.25 kg. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
5.5 0.30 kg. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2
4.6 0.25 kg. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
2.4 0.13 kg. CRYSTAL Wheat UK 1.035 40
9.2 0.50 kg. JAGGERY GOOR Generic 1.046 75

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.00 g. Galaxy Whole 14.90 0.0 Dry Hop
35.00 g. Galaxy Whole 14.90 0.0 0 min.
12.00 g. Galaxy Whole 14.90 3.7 5 min.
10.00 g. Galaxy Whole 14.90 6.3 20 min.
5.00 g. Galaxy Whole 14.90 8.4 First WH
10.00 g. Galaxy Whole 3.90 3.4 Mash H

Yeast
-----
US05

UP

Are you mashing with hops?

I Sure am first of the photos.

The Grain Bill with Mash Hops
grainbill-2.jpg

A small bag of galaxy hops
bag-galaxy-hops.jpg

A block of Jaggery Goor very good for a bit of "Jaggery Pokery" Tastes a bit like a Treacly Sugar Pig
jaggery.jpg

Hops for conventional part of brew with salts, Jaggery, dead yeast as nutrient, protofloc etc etc.
hops-1.jpg

Some yellowy gold extremenely Sticky hoppy smelling fingers.
sticky-fingers.jpg

More Photos to come

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Fancy sugar that Unc, bet you can't wait until this is ready.

A friend of mine who has had to go on rather a long unplanned vacation ;) gave it to me along with the contents of his kitchen cupboards, therefore I thought i would chuck it in a brew.

UP

unclepumble said:
A friend of mine who has had to go on rather a long unplanned vacation ;) gave it to me along with the contents of his kitchen cupboards, therefore I thought i would chuck it in a brew.

UP
Sounds like he had to make a quick exit. :eek:

Back