Brittania

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone watching this? It's ok...obviously a dramatisation with "modernised" text which I don't mind as nobody knew exactly what happened and it would be laborious in the mixture of languages from the time or subtitles. ...
BUT. .....why go to the bother of replicating the Roman legions and their weapons etc plus having a go at the indigenous Celtic tribes appearance and their ways....then place RABBITS as a food source?
Totally inaccurate! Rabbits were brought over by the Romans but weren't wild in any numbers until around the 12th century....

I think it quite unbelievable that in a thousand years a)not a pair of rabbits escaped, and b) .. no, that's it. One pair of rabbits on the loose and you have a colony. They breed like rabbits.

The invasion (2nd) was in 43ad. Julius Ceasar tried 90 years earlier but was sent packing. Not unless the rabbits were those abandoned at the first invasion....

We have recorded the first episode, but we're currently binge watching Game of Thrones (just got to the end of Season 2) so I think it might confuse matters.

Game of Thrones is confusing enough :laugh:

I havent got sky. I have noticed though that the advertising for it is EVERYWHERE (in London at least).

I guess their just trying to cash on Brexit? The Britons are the Brexiteers and the Romans are the EU?

The Romans almost certainly bred rabbits for meat and fur. If they are showing wild rabbits being eaten then I’d agree it’s inaccurate.

Getting through these...there are some great details...look for the dragon headed item standing outside the tent in episode 5...it's a ceremonial trumpet....several have been dug up on Anglesey.

I'm loving the series, but can't get the theme tune out of my head - bloody herdy gerdy man

How come they all speak English? My life was once insured by a firm called Brittania but they went bust. But that's another tale.

Yes, but apart from the roads....

Aqueducts?

1200px-Pont_du_Gard_Oct_2007.jpg

Yes but, apart from the roads and the aqueducts, what have they done.......

Attachments

• 35978604-C284-4C4D-9849-39F281343A23.jpeg
    35978604-C284-4C4D-9849-39F281343A23.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 72
For what it's worth, they still breed rabbits in France and sell them in the supermarkets, neatly paunched, in a plastic box and with a "Use By" date stamped on them! They taste just like the rabbits you get off the hill for free in Scotland!

Friends from France visited us when we lived in Scotland and were duly amazed at the number of rabbits that were running around on the roads. I actually got my mate to stop the car so that I could explain that it was much better if he ran over the odd rabbit; rather than keep swerving all over the road to avoid them and put us into a field or into the front of an oncoming lorry.:gulp:

Back