Brooklyn Brew Shop - Grapefruit and Honey APA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

This is a review of the Brooklyn Beer Shop – Grapefruit and Honey kit I’m guessing a kit based on a recipe from their book. Please note this review has the beginner in mind.

As a complete beginner (hadn’t brewed a thing) this was recommended to me after a visit to Beautiful Beers in Bury St. Edmunds (good weekend that was, enjoyed the Greene King tour). It contains (nearly) everything a beginner like me needs to create a small all grain brew.

Kit contains:

Picture was taken from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/239464905158138845/

1x Bag of all grain mix.
Required hops.
Required yeast.
1x US gallon glass fermenter
1x 3-piece chambered air lock
1x Screw top stopper
1x Thermometer
1x Length of plastic tubing
1x Tubing clamp
1x Racking cane
1x Sanitizer (Starsan)

According to research the grain includes...
Pale Ale Malt (67.88%)
Honey (9.36%)
Torrified Wheat (7.58%)
Crystal 10 (5.06%)
Crystal 20 (5.06%)
Victory (5.06%)

Hops are Columbus and Cascade.

Not sure on the yeast.

(Please note in addition to the kit you will need a large pan capable of holding 6l ‘ish, and another vessel when separating the grain. Also a large sieve and funnel for transferring the wort to the FV. Plus bottles, caps and a capper or swing top bottles)

The instructions were excellent for a beginner using many of the appropriate terms and explaining them (lauter tun for example), however keeping it simple so it doesn’t explain step mashes or protein breaks for example.
The brew went well until I got to separate the grains from the wort. The instructions state that you need a sieve, but the sieve I used was completely inadequate, some indication on sieve size would be useful (I reckon 26 cm + and fairly deep).
Mash time was an hour. Boil time also an hour with the hop pellets added at 60, 30, 5. Dried grapefruit peel added at 5 with 80g of honey. (I used the all the peel from a grapefruit dried over a rad).
Once in the FV the instructions ask for a blow off tube switching to the supplied airlock in a few days. After 2 weeks the instructions ask you to bottle, however by then I’d discovered this site so left mine for an additional week. Bottling with the supplied racking cane and tube I found to be a real pain, recommend getting an auto syphon. When bottling you are asked to add a honey solution to the beer for carbonation. Instructions state beer can be drunk after 2 weeks, however the longer the better.
In the bottle in doors the beer cleared nicely but clouded up due to chill haze when cooled. As this was my first beer I was desperate to try 1 at Xmas after just over 2 weeks of conditioning. Have to say it was great, very complex with a hint of citrus. My dad and I love our ale and that was easily the best we both had over Xmas. So I was very chuffed and will be looking to brew again.

Overall a great gift to help ease someone into brewing. :thumb:

P.S. if anyone knows what yeast is used please let me know.

Latest posts

Back