Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm beginning to wonder what I'm brewing. Been in the FV for 28 days come tomorrow and there's still airlock activity every 50-55 seconds. Certainly seems Evil.

I've just started mine, have brewed ever so slighly long and i've ended up with an og of 1.061, seems a lot weaker than others have been reporting but (and i'm no expert) i think it should still come out about 7% abv?

the wort smelled good but not as hoppy as i was expecting, i guess that's why i'll be adding the 2 'teabags' a couple of days before bottling.

I assume i should just wait until primary fermentation's done and then chuck them in? any advive would be great...

I just got a minikeg system so this will be my first keging experiment, can't wait to be able to share a (mini) keg with a few friends!

A word of warning, mines gone off like a rocket and has been my first beer volcano.

Clean up's not been too bad but slightly worried about infection now...

I'd advise using the biggest FV you have...

Yeah, mine started coming through the airlock so I stuck a blow off tube on it.

I do that with all my beers now just to be on the safe side.

I wouldn't worry too much about infection, unless anything got sucked back into the FV.

Ok, thanks James, it's the first time that's happened to me so I just cleaned up everything I could from the lip, side and underneath the FV with a bleachey j cloth. hopefully that will keep the contents safe.

otherwise smelling good on day 5...

Yeah, it'll be fine. Mine ended up as a pool of beer on the lid, gave it a wipe up with sterilising fluid and it came out fine

Mine started strong but trailed off. Had a bit of a disaster when putting into secondary FV - started leaking so had to put it into the original whilst I sanitised a spare one, lost about half a gallon, hopefully Ok

Did anyone else notice a cidery smell from theirs ?

That's a bummer, bet it says fun cleaning up too :-/

I didn't get a cider smell from mine, but I've read about it happening with some other ales - just give the yeast time to clean up - how long has it been fermenting for so far?

I got a distinct cidery smell from mine throughout fermentation. Having bottle conditioned it for 4 weeks now, the smell and taste have gone. This kit does have a very distinct taste, but I slightly prefer the youngs IPA to this. This is certainly strong though!!! 1 bottle is enough for me per evening.

Was in primary for about ³ weeks, been in secondary a week in the warm, will move somewhere cooler for a week then dry hop and keg

Still getting airlock activity after 34 days. Looked like it had stopped at 30 days so added the hop teabags and it came back to life Mine went off like a rocket at the start too - just kept changing the bubbler to clean up the gunged-up one - think the blow-off tube might be an idea for next time. Hope the wait is worth it though.

Mine seems to be done in the fv in under 2 weeks??? Down to 1005, it doesn't look that clear but I'll leave it longer to condition in the bottle.
Hopefully I can keep my hands of it for a couple of months!

I'm just about through my leg, wish I'd left it - after 6 weeks it tastes absolutely fantastic

Well, looks like my haunted brew has finally given up the ghost (pun intended) with no airlock activity for 48 hours. I'll rack it off the trub, batch condition it then get it into bottles at long last. Hope nothing has gone seriously wrong after 8 weeks in the FV.

Dude, the leg is almost gone :-) I'm gutted - by far the tastiest beer I've ever had. It's really mellowed out in the last week but sadly the beer level is now almost at the tap.

If I could find something this nice that wasn't almost wine strength I'd be set for life!

Dude, the leg is almost gone :-) I'm gutted - by far the tastiest beer I've ever had. It's really mellowed out in the last week but sadly the beer level is now almost at the tap.

If I could find something this nice that wasn't almost wine strength I'd be set for life!

Tried the youngs american IPA? Thats very similar to this, slightly less bitter, slightly hoppier and slightly weaker.

I haven't yet - I decided just to make the one kit this month, so I've got a raja's reward on its way. Let's see how their session style brew compares to their skull cracker one :-)

Back