can i brew a wine that will last 18 years ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When in Portugal I went to a couple of those special port bars, when men in fancy waistcoats serve you just port, with peanuts, not stilton. I recall a glass of 40 year old port, which needed neither peanuts or stilton to be enjoyed!

I'm planning to put away a bottle of fortified elderberry wine from last years batch for my daughters 18th in 17yrs time :)

Only found them in Lisbon and Porto, the latter being THE place for port, obviously. On balance, I preferred Porto, as it's not a tourist place and quieter than Lisbon, plus you get tours of the port producers and cheap rides on the old English vintage trams which may still be running. Don't go swimming in the Atlantic. It's cold and the currents are treacherous.
One of my best experiences was in the old part of Lisbon where we stumbled across a working mans club late at night which did a mixture of bingo, interspersed by top class fado performances free of charge. The seafood cafes across the river were also good and cheap. There were good working class cafes in Lisbon too for lunch. I also went to the
place where they make vinho verde, where they serve the stuff in ceramic bowls. Railway journeys to the interior are brilliant. Avoid the Algarve, but there is a coastal resort close to the Spanish border only used by locals. You can also pop over to Morocco, for a taste of North Africa, if you have the time. Sintra is worth a visit too. Had a great meal of rabbit, complete with head, and rice in a converted railway carriage there.
People are polite and generally you don't get ripped off. There are many different cod dishes to try, but my favourite is grilled sardines. I don't recommend tinned pigs trotters or tripe, but a tin of tuna called 'Atun Bom' makes an amusing souvenir!

Did a barleywine for my first who's now two and another for my second who's now 3 months - 11% following the double double recipe from Randy Moshers - bottles were sterilized in a pressure cooker prior to bottling and sealed with a crown cap and wax. Had a bottle of the first last week and it was lovely

That sounds awsome, might consider as you say sterilizing not just sanitizing my bottles. T

Back