Cheap (ish) swing top bottles in Aldi.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunken Horse

Still a Newb
Reaction score
Judt back from Aldi and they have just stocked with Des Halle in 500ml brown swing top bottles for £1.79. Thats not a bad price for the bottles alone. But the beer is actually supposed to be okay based on reviews I've read.
For some reason this beer was not with the other beer but was on a bottom shelf next to the cleaning products (wasnt sure if that was saying something about the beer :sick: so checked the reviews).

nobyipa said:
3 grolsch for a fiver Asda

Thats what I've been using so far but find them a little bit small a serving for bitters that 60ml does seem to make a difference :drink: Also read on here that brown glass is better for your beer than green glass?

Either way nice to have a selection of bottles to suit each beer.

Last year in the 2-3 months before Christmas they had the Helle (light) and the Schwarze (black).

I looked in our local branch last weekend but there was no unfamiliar stock, will look again this weekend, but did you happen to notice if your branch had both?

I don't drink light lager beers but I bought several of the dark one.

The “short term offers” topic has long since been deleted but here's a related one.

Now have 40 bottles in the back of my car :D

Thanks for the heads up :thumb: :thumb:

Moley said:
Last year in the 2-3 months before Christmas they had the Helle (light) and the Schwarze (black).

I looked in our local branch last weekend but there was no unfamiliar stock, will look again this weekend, but did you happen to notice if your branch had both?

I don't drink light lager beers but I bought several of the dark one.

The “short term offers” topic has long since been deleted but here's a related one.
I didnt notice sorry.They did seem to have quiet a few boxes of the stuff so maybe one or 2 may have been

I'm just being cheeky and asking everyone at work and friends to keep any of their 500ml bottles for me. Looks z bit odd with all of the different shapes an colours when bottled but free...

Cheers, Crumpy

AllAleCrumpy said:
I'm just being cheeky and asking everyone at work and friends to keep any of their 500ml bottles for me. Looks z bit odd with all of the different shapes an colours when bottled but free...

Cheers, Crumpy

If you look around in your aldis b&ms etc you'll find jennings beers for £1 a bottle. They are all nice beers too if you want your bottles the same. Ive got 3 boxes of them and 2 grolsch. Might get a box or 2of these after trying the couple I bought tonight.

Drunken Horse said:
If you look around in your aldis b&ms etc you'll find jennings beers for £1 a bottle.

Are they flip-tops?

I have found some 500ml German flip-tops which are top quality for £1.28 but they are full with Alcohol-free Wheat beer.
Still 60p a bottle less than the LHBS sells empty bottles for though.

Drunken Horse said:
40 :shock: Youre keen. Hope you enjoy the contents :cheers:
The German beer sold by Aldi is generally pretty good . . . but the best thing is the Flip top bottles at 50p a bottle cheaper than the LHBS

anthonyUK said:
Drunken Horse said:
If you look around in your aldis b&ms etc you'll find jennings beers for £1 a bottle.

Are they flip-tops?

I have found some 500ml German flip-tops which are top quality for £1.28 but they are full with Alcohol-free Wheat beer.
Still 60p a bottle less than the LHBS sells empty bottles for though.

No just standard 500 ml brown bottles. But its the best beer I've found at that price. I'd buy it even if I werent collecting bottles

I brew my own beers, why buy unsuitable beers ?
Plenty of bottles available for free if you look.

piddledribble said:

Thats fine if you've got the brewing capacity to meet your demands or have a stock built up. I have neither yet and sniffing other peoples dregs just aint going to cut it for me.

piddledribble said:
I have a nice collection of crown capable bottles . . .but I want a nice collection of brown flip tops . . .because of the recycling policy in Germany this makes their beer bottles excellent for reuse . . . and they do a nice line in flip tops . . . which make bottling such a nice experience.

And the beer is usually pretty good . . . . Pretty Damned good.

Free brown Flip top bottles . . . not in the UK . . . maybe in Holland and Germany . . . Cost in a LHBS is very expensive . . . it's cheaper to snap up ones filled with beer and go down the route of having to dispose of the contents, clean the bottle and remove the label . . .Which again is easy with German bottles because of the recycling policy.

Went into Aldi last night and they have got a German beer on sale called Das Helle. It comes in 500ml bottles at £1.79. It is very drinkable but the best thing about it is that it comes in good quality flip-top bottles!

Thanks uncleinan, but we already know, and I will be going to take a look tomorrow.

Merging topics.

Aleman said:
. . it's cheaper to snap up ones filled with beer and go down the route of having to dispose of the contents, clean the bottle and remove the label . . .Which again is easy with German bottles because of the recycling policy.

Yep, a case of 20 half litre bottle of Beck's for about 12€ plus 3€ for the crate and bottles in my local Getränkehof.

Back