Chimeneas....get one!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the delay, the website for anyone interested is stovesareus.co.uk :thumb:

So it's not just me then :rofl:

I've coveted the biggest chimenea I've ever seen in Machine Mart for the last two years, at around £220 ish as I recall, that's a lot of homebrew...... :shock: :shock:

.......or a lot of heat :wha: :wha: :wha:

Decisions decisions :lol: :lol: :lol:

That suckling pig looks lush mind :clap: :clap:

Only advice I would give to chimenea virgins is, get an enclosed one (I prefer cast to clay - heard a lot of them crack) with one opening rather than the 360' open one in the likes of B&Q which do not chuck out the heat a single mouthed one does. Fire pit great for suckling pig but doubt you'd get the same satisfaction as stoking ya chimenea up with wood and getting that 'afterburner' flame from the chimney :D :D

Happy days - apparently there may be snow next week :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

:cheers:

Hi, i need some advice from some of you guys on here regarding the chimeneas or anyone with a fire pit. Ive just got a firepit, and bought a bag of kindling and a bag of decent size logs to go onto it. May seem obvious to you lot but how do i get the big logs to burn??
They are dry and kept dry. Fire lights fine with the kindling and once its up and running ive put the logs on. Once the kindling burns away the fire seems to go out. Id expect the large logs to burn nicely but this isnt happening. Any tips or advice for a fire starting novice???

you need to reduce the size of the logs , at first put some on top of the kindling a little bigger than the kindling and after they have really caught you then add some more but a little bigger , make sure wood is dried out else it will be hard to get going , it may take about 30 mins before you can add large ish logs :D

As above, make sure everything is dry, you will want to start with the smaller pieces and get those burning , then gradually add bigger bits to it. You dont want to put too much on it though and end up drowning it of any air.

I tend to try and build a pyramid of wood, get that going, once its burnt down a little, add bigger logs/chunks of wood and carry on putting small bits around the sides to keep it going. You will find once you get the big log going you will be fine to add more or less what you want to it.

Nothing like getting a good fire going and sitting there watching it, with or without a drink :cheers:

You might not get the directional heat from a fire pit that you do with a chimnea but it still throw's a lot of heat out and plenty of people can sit round it to keep warm. The secret to getting a good fire going, as others have already said, is to make sure the wood is very dry then build up the size of the pieces and trying to keep a pyramid shape going. This means lots of air can get underneath to help generate the heat and also reduce the smoke.

The pig was fantastic by the way, although most the girls at the party wouldn't eat it. They were quite happy to eat the barbecued ribs and sausages though :wha:

Theres a complete "how to" on that lovely site indestructables. How to make your own wood burning stove from an old gas bottle

Angle Grinder, nuts and bolts, bit of crude welding, lorry exhaust pipe. Big hammer...Bobs your mothers brother

After getting sunburn on Friday gone (fell asleep in the garden with some Woodfordes Wherry :party: :lol: ) it's tipping it down with rain here on the Northeast coast, and possible snow thisaffa :eek: :eek: doubt I'll be blazin' tonight :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol:

Debate just about to start on Jeremy Vine Radio2 about chimeneas if you've got the radio on :thumb:

I think they're beerilliant!
Here's mine on bonfire night :D
IMG456.jpg

Polo_Phil said:
I think they're beerilliant!
Here's mine on bonfire night :D
IMG456.jpg

Nice, that's the type I was on about earlier up, tend to smoke from the sides a bit though ;)

Top tip, don't EVER light with petrol :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Honestly, that was the premise of the JV show, there's some thick people out there :nono: :nono: :nono: :lol: :lol:

:shock:

BrewDan said:
Hahaha how were your eyebrows after the petrol stunt!!!

Oh no! not me Dan :eek: I've been lighting fires since I was a cub scout ;) Only accelerant I would use would be firelighters or BBQ lighter fuel :cool:

Half the skill is getting one of these going and I still prefer a few bits of dry newspaper under a kindling pyramid, keeps smoke to a minimum on startup and away you go :thumb:

Petrol is way too risky for me, would never use the stuff except in me car :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The whole family can be out around this with either tea, pop, or booze :party: any time of year. We've sat with coats on in the snow,
And I thought it was just us that did that :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
We had a table top barbie last week...the neighbour said it was hilarious watching us cooking with a torch :roll: :lol:
Great fun..any excuse...better out than in :shock: :grin: ...except when raining...even with an awning....don't like the damp :cry:

oldstout said:
Oh no! not me Dan :eek: I've been lighting fires since I was a cub scout ;) Only accelerant I would use would be firelighters or BBQ lighter fuel :cool:

Half the skill is getting one of these going and I still prefer a few bits of dry newspaper under a kindling pyramid, keeps smoke to a minimum on startup and away you go :thumb:

Petrol is way too risky for me, would never use the stuff except in me car :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old bills/bank statements and a trusty match!
I probably did build the pyramid too high though hence the giant flame... soon died down though.

I used to have a clay one but after a couple of years it cracked :?
SWMBO doesn't like sitting out in the cold even if I make her a nice fire. How ungrateful...

Back