Choosing between a 60º and 120º conical fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royger

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking into buying a new fermenter, and would like to get a stainless steel one. I currently own a Fermzilla Gen2, and I'm tired of how many times I've managed to break the threads in the collection container by screwing the caps slightly too much, plus it's a pain to disassemble and clean.

I'm undecided between two fermenters, both have the same capacity (~30L), the same number of ports (all TC), and the same pressure rating (up to 15psi). The only difference is that one has a 120º conical bottom, and the other a 60º conical bottom. Obviously the one with a 60º angle is taller, and likely more cumbersome to move around. The price of the 120º is a bit cheaper, but only because it comes with less accessories: if you add wheels, a thermowell and and a couple of butterfly valves the price is almost the same (the 60º already comes with all of those).

At this point I'm undecided whether it's best to get the 60º or the 120º one. The 120º is smaller, and likely easier to clean. The 60º seems like the best one I could possibly get, and what commercial breweries use.

I have a couple of questions, maybe some owners can help me. I usually dry hop at low temperatures (12-7ºC), and shake my fermzilla after 24h in order to rouse the dry hops. With stainless steel I no longer see myself lifting the fermenter in order to shake it, so I would need to inject CO2 from the bottom of the cone. I fear that with a 120º angle injecting CO2 will raise part of the trub, but not all of it (ie: the borders will likely be undisturbed)?

I don't own a pump currently, what do people use to clean conicals? Can I just use soap and a brush? With the Fermzilla I would add 3L of PBW solution and shake it (turning it upside down also).

Thanks, Roger.

What styles of beer you brew might dictate the choice. Shallower, flatter bottomed fermenters stress yeast less, giving healthier yeast growth. This promotes esters with less higher alcohols and other off flavour compounds. On the other hand a tight cone is said to facilitate a faster ferment, and be better for yeast removal.

I tend to brew Pale Ales, (NE)IPAs and Bitters mostly, with the occasional Hefeweizen or Witbier. For 90% of the brews I use London Ale III yeast or derivatives (Verdant IPA, AEB New-E).

Latest posts

Back