Cleaning gubbins

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golder247

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am proceeding apace with getting my brews going but I am struggling with getting my DJ's for my wine clean enough.

Some of them, sorry all of them have been collected from all over the place and some are bloody bogging, limescale and other filth, I have them all soaking in a descaling and soda crystal solution and have had a go at them with the standard DJ wire brush but I can see lines of scale in the glas still and I wondered if anybody had a quick easy and cheap method of getting them sparkly and lovely.

Thanks in advance ladies and germs :)

Have you tried using calgon powder. the stuff used in dish washers for hard water?

no I haven't I have used denture tablets and have limited success, not got a dishwasher so it didn't cross my mind, Thanks I will give that a try...

I did consider caustic soda....??

Nothing Caustic wiull shif it . . . as it is 'caustic' in nature . . . or at least alkaline . . . What you need is something Acid . . . :twisted: . . . Calgon will do it. . . . eventually . . . Spirit of salt from a pharmacist will do a much better job :whistle:

I use 75% phosphoric to shift mine

When we had the fish I used to pick up clean gravel and slosh them around, but now I use rice and a thin bleach solution. For the really manky ones I find the nozzle on the jet wash shifts the sh1t

rice and a thin bleach solution sounds pretty easy.. I use cola to clean my toilet as I am a hippy (and a tightwad) so maybe rice and cola?? I say this also because I have no bleach in the house... random I know

but I am thinking the acetic (phosporic acid in non diet cola) and the rice would combine the methods without having to get to friendly with the chemist ....?

Latest posts

Back