Cleaning products and regime

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@MashBag - my paranoia comes from a mate who brews also, and the bottle he once gave me that looked more like Bisto gravy rather than beer !
That said, i'll remove my surgical gown now then wink...

I'm all for a bit of cheap insurance. Sure you can achieve results without being meticulous and some of my practices may be overkill, but worth it versus a ruined batch and wasting the time and money that batch took.
The bloke that got me into home brew years ago never sanitized his PET pop bottles before putting the beer in but did all the usual stuff he said he couldn't be bothered and had never had a problem, as you say its not worth the risk for the little time it does take to make sure everything is sanitised.

water to rinse of most deposits then dishwasher. rinse then starsan. for bottles I pop them in oven after rinsing from dishwasher then starsaned 2nd hand bottle cap and down shed.

@MashBag - my paranoia comes from a mate who brews also, and the bottle he once gave me that looked more like Bisto gravy rather than beer !
That said, i'll remove my surgical gown now then wink...
Do not obsess, I doubt it was just a cleaning problem. But was is 1000 years old .. Asking for a friend 😁

For the record I too clean. Like Lee I am a big fan of caustic and a citric acid rinse. In fact I was doing just that yesterday, with some copper.

But the point is, don't think more cleanliness improves your beer. Kitchen clean is enough. The secret to good beer is a knowledge & practice not polishing your shiney bits.

.and never suck syphon see this thread below...

A blast from the past (2015)

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/the-do-and-dont-thread.51684/post-473664
DON'T start your syphon by sucking it, you could easily get an infected brew. I got four in a row before I realised. Instead buy an auto-syphon or try the method in the video below.

DON'T start to fill your fv without double checking that the tap is in the 'off' position! Sounds stupidly obvious but it's so easy done. (I did it :oops: )

DON'T rush a brewing session. If you know you have to collect your daughter from school at 3.15 then don't start a brew at 2.00 pm.

Latest posts

Back