Cloning Marston''s Firestoke

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr259

Landlord.
Reaction score
Been asked my my wife to try and brew a clone of Marston''s Firestorm as it was the first beer which she enjoyed. I liked it too, if you were used to beer it tasted strongly of vanilla, her being new to beer just perceived "nice beer" flavour. Now that she's been drinking beer for years she wants to see what Firestorm is like, but they stopped making it years ago.

I did some googling but there's not much out there so I emailed Marston''s, got the following reply.

I have been advised that we brewed this beer at 4% with Fuggles and Golding and added a vanilla extract.

Seems the beer was actually 5% abv, and review sites describe it as a premium bitter / ESB.

I'm figuring this would be a simple recipe of maris otter, and crystal malt bittered to around 30 IBUs. Greg Hughes ESB Ale or London Bitter may also be good bases to use, anyone brewed these beers?

Finally, does anyone have advice on adding vanilla to a beer? I've seen it in porters and stouts but not in paler ones, just been reading the herb and spice chapter from Radical Brewing, maybe soaking a bean in vodka then dosing the beer before bottling would be the way to go as then I can only dose part of the batch.

Advice and experience appreciated, thanks.

Latest posts

Back