St Austell Tribute Clone - Water Profile?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered the Tribute clone kit from The Maltmiller and am planning on brewing it on Saturday. I've been searching around for info on their water profile and am finding all sorts of conflicting information. Some say it's a soft water profile, while others say they Burtonise their water for Tribute.

Does anyone have a solid idea on this? Advice would be most welcome.

Cheers,
Floyd

I’m currently very much enjoying my first attempt at something vaguely resembling a tribute clone. Recipe put together after reading a few threads on here on the subject.

Here’s my water profile. No idea how close it is to the real thing but I’m happy with the result. More like the cask stuff than the bottles.

Ca 125
Mg 20
Na 17
Cl 109
SO4 207
HCO3 30

I do recall from one of the MM YouTube videos the head brewer saying they’re blessed with soft Cornish water and do very little (nothing?) to it..

Are you doing the new MM kit?

I’m currently very much enjoying my first attempt at something vaguely resembling a tribute clone. Recipe put together after reading a few threads on here on the subject.

Here’s my water profile. No idea how close it is to the real thing but I’m happy with the result. More like the cask stuff than the bottles.

Ca 125
Mg 20
Na 17
Cl 109
SO4 207
HCO3 30

I do recall from one of the MM YouTube videos the head brewer saying they’re blessed with soft Cornish water and do very little (nothing?) to it..

Are you doing the new MM kit?
Thanks for this. I'll give this profile a go.

Yes - I'm brewing the latest kit from the MM. Have a yeast starter ready to roll - built it up from Proper Job dregs as advised on their site and YT vid so will hopefully get as close as they did. 🤞 Will update here.

Cornish water is naturally pretty soft, but we have the brewsheet for the original Daylight Robbery (the one-off that became Tribute), where they used 50g each of "Gyp"(sum), "Mag"(nesium ??sulphate??) and "Salt" in 300 litres of water (although the volume doesn't look quite right, I think they may be adding additional ??untreated?? sparge water to that to make it up to ~400l)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...-became-tribute-from-the-horses-mouth.661711/

@Rakey of TMM has a soft spot for all things Snozzell, so he would be your man.

Cornish water is naturally pretty soft, but we have the brewsheet for the original Daylight Robbery (the one-off that became Tribute), where they used 50g each of "Gyp"(sum), "Mag"(nesium ??sulphate??) and "Salt" in 300 litres of water (although the volume doesn't look quite right, I think they may be adding additional ??untreated?? sparge water to that to make it up to ~400l)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...-became-tribute-from-the-horses-mouth.661711/

@Rakey of TMM has a soft spot for all things Snozzell, so he would be your man.
Very cool to see that brewsheet! Thanks.

Hopefully Rakey can chip in if he reads this.

We shared all the info we got in the videos, even giving a short glimpse of the brew book and sheets.

The brewsheet for Daylight Robbery is pretty removed from the current Tribute, as we got to see both of them side by side, the recipe has really evolved over the years, also had the pleasure to taste both side by down there in November too. Tribute is very much more rounded and modern example of the English pale, much more drinkable, or maybe thats because I am such a fan of Tribute.

Water wise they do very little, I still have my notes from their brew sheet and there was nothing shared on the brew sheet I saw for water, only advice I was given was that they use soft Cornish water from their own ground source. I used grainfather to calculate my water, I went for a classic English pale profile using RO water as the base.

The most important thing I did learn was that whole hops are important and do create a difference, and that the brew kit and process also imparts it own identity on the beer itself, that was the trickest bit to work around.But very happy with the final resulting beer I managed to produce.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 08.59.31.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 08.59.31.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Rakey. I'm an avid Tribute attempter! I'm around 10 brews in. Looking at your post I'm trying whole hops next time. Would that be for all varieties for the whole brew?
Also what about grain choice? I'm currently using maris otter and a bit of Munich.

Whole hops purely for the aroma addition (second whirlpool). Have a watch of the video, you'll see how I did it (would share a link but I then get told off for promoting).

Low colour Maris from Crisp, and then Cornish Gold, 72%/28%. Also learnt that occasionally they add a little pinch of black malt if the colour of the Cornish gold is low.

Thanks Rakey. Is Cornish Gold comparable to Munich or a totally different thing?
Up to now I'm quite pleased with my version but it definitely needs more on the aroma...your help should fix it!

The most similar thing to Cornish Gold is Munich, and Daylight Robbery started out being brewed with that. You can buy CG though on its own from TMM as well as in the recipe kit.
The colour is slightly different I was told, and the other main thing is that CG is grown in Cornwall.

Latest posts

Back