Cloudy wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pammyandjimmy2010

Reaction score
I am a new home brewer. I have just brewed a batch of white wine but after the fining process the wine is not just hazy but positively grey. Can anyone tell me why and what steps should I take to remedy it.
The big question is this....Is it safe to drink?

I am a new home brewer. I have just brewed a batch of white wine but after the fining process the wine is not just hazy but positively grey. Can anyone tell me why and what steps should I take to remedy it.
The big question is this....Is it safe to drink?

Was this a kit or something you made yourself if a kit can you tell us which.

What finings did you use?

If you made it yourself did you use Pectolace?

How long is it since you added the finings?

Did you degas the wine and if yes how?

Just a standard kit with the enclosed finings. After a week and tried a 2nd packet of same finings but with no change.

Already tried that.Even tried the recommended amount of Pectinaze. No improvement. A complete puzzle.Previously I had made a the same kit with an ok result. Is there any test I can make to verify that it is OK to drink. It does taste OK.

The time I had an issue with a wine kit not clearing it was because I'd done what a beer brewer would typically do, I tried cold crashing it, then learn that wine needs to be at room temp for the finings to work quicker. It did eventually clear with more time and not being so cold.

If you cannot face drinking it as it is get some Kwik clear i used to use it all the time on my supermarket juice wines and it is easily the best i have used, i will be very surprised if it had not cleared your wine in a couple of days, please note there are two sizes.

1677778558342.png

If you cannot face drinking it as it is get some Kwik clear I used to use it all the time on my supermarket juice wines and it is easily the best I have used, i will be very surprised if it had not cleared your wine in a couple of days, please note there are two sizes.

View attachment 82599
Will this affect bottle carbonation? I have some pineapple wine on the go at the moment and it is to be bottled in a few days. It looks exactly like a NEIPA (doesn't bother me but it's for the wife & family) and I'd like to clean it up a bit. Can't seem to find a straight answer if cold crashing will clear a cloudy wine on it's own.
There does seem to be a fair bit of sediment building on the bottom of the fermenter (in secondary now) so cold crashing for a few days seems logical to me.

Filtering has been discussed here many times and many think it strips out taste etc as mentioned in the article below -

Filtering doesn’t necessarily make a wine better or worse – advocates of unfiltered wines won’t agree with that, as they believe that filtration strips wine of its flavour, aroma and complexity, not to mention messing with its texture and mouthfeel.

https://pullthecork.co.uk/whats-the...essarily make,with its texture and mouthfeel.

Latest posts

Back