Coffee wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How clear will it get? Is it worth getting myself some finings or just wait till it's definitely finished?

I don't recall using finings on the last lot I did
Mine got properly clear, about the colour of an India Pale Ale, maybe a little darker

Krausen falling at 48 hours.
3yhubavy.jpg

I assume posting progress here us ok. Should I start a brew day thread instead?

Mine's looking like this:
55732_original.jpg

It currently has about 1 kg of sugars i it, another 1kg to add, probably in 2 goes, hence the space at the top. Undecided as to when.
The one on the left is banana, came out of the bucket yesterday... about 1650g sugar in there, can't decide whether to add more.

Looks like you're having fun. I've since added some brewed coffee (caffeinated) and some more sugar in the form of golden syrup. Still bubbling away so that's good. :D Smells delicious.

I stuck another 500g of sugar (dissolved in about 3/4l boiled water) in mine yesterday. Think I'll get the last 500g in over the weekend.

A couple of weeks since I added anything and still bubbling.

This post has spurred me into having another go at a coffee wine.
I remember brewing it when I was 17, quite nice as I remember but then again anything with alcohol in was at the time.
I remember it being really easy to make with granulated coffee and oranges and lemons etc
I'd bought a fancy glass wine bottle from Spain and proceeded to use it for the coffee wine. Bad move. Being young I'd bottled it a bit early and the bottle duely exploded in the middle of the night covering me and the walls of my bedroom in sticky goo and blowing a hole in the ceiling of my parents brand new Dorma bedroom.
I've still got the recipe book and a nice new Brewshed plus 30 odd years of extra knowledge and patience!!

It was an incarnation of the CJJ Berry book I used. The other book I was thinking about was where I got a recipe for Carrot Whisky from. Now that was a corker!
COFFEE WINE
Instant coffee 15g
sugar 1kg
Citric Acid 15g
Water to 4.5 litres
Ammonium phosphate ( Nutrient, 1 tsp or as per instructions)
Yeast
Pour boiling water on ingredients (apart from yeast obviously)
Cool, add yeast.

Well i've finally bottled this. Very nice desert wine. Just a little bit to sip is lovely. Probably a bit rough at this stage but drinkable.

Just an update now that it's matured a while. I actually prefer to drink this one on ice. If I were to do it again I'd either forgo the decaf or at least get some proper washed decafinated beans to roast and brew a decent cup. Surprise, surprise, rubbish coffee produces coffee wine that leaves a little to be desired.

Latest posts

Back