Conditioning question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the priming solution went into the bottling bucket first

I used to do this until I had the classic auto-siphon fail, then I knew I had too much sugar in the transferred portion of the beer.

I don't rate auto-siphons at all... they just fail! I am eyeing up the SSSiphon! That looks proper!

TMM had some, but out of stock, no one else as far as I know, Love Brewing are considering it, please send them your expression of interest thumb.

I have always used a secondary and batch primed. I've never had any issues... Until recently. My last batch (a red ale) has given me reason to doubt, since when the bottle is poured into a glass, little more than a very few ounces are decanted before an enormous head is produced. Plus the bottle will slowly create its own head making it difficult to wait for the glass to settle.

The dunkle I just bottled had me considering that no priming was necessary, since the (unvented) secondary had plenty of pressure released when opened. I just hated to screw up a good batch by not having the bottles carbonate.

I've put all this off to new water environment with high mineral content & no filtration yet. Probably have whole house filter in place before the next batch...we'll see.
You have to take into consideration the amount of co2 in the solution, the colder it is the more co2 in the solution. There are conflicting reports about how much dextrose/sugar to add. Is it fermentation temperature, or cold crash temperature? From what I have noticed from my own experience is bottle according to beer temperature at the time of bottling to avoid over carbination.

Latest posts

Back