Converting Aldi tea urn in to small batch all in one

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It's been a loooooooong time since I've visited this glorious place. I took a several year hiatus while the kids grew up (I have 4 so it took a while). My youngest is due to start school this year, so feel I may start getting a little time back. I only ever do small 1 gal batches as, to be honest, I don't drink alcohol all that much, but enjoy a good brew day. It also allows for some experimentation.

I've always used the stove top, but I'm looking at ways I can keep the kitchen free. I have an Aldi 7 litre tea earn that has served me well for many years (as a tea urn). I'm now looking at the possibilities of turning it into an electric BIAB boiler.

I've attached a pic of the electrics, and a wiring diagram I've cobbled together. Just after opinions from the more experienced members on here, as I know a few have modified Burco boilers (other brands are available.)

I'm thinking, remove the keep warm bit, as to be honest, I have no idea what it does or how it works. Bypass the 98 degree thermal switch so I can get a rolling boil, then fit and wire in an adjustable thermostat so I can maintain mashing temp.

So, would this be possible? and if so, how would be best wiring in the adjustable thermostat?

Appreciate any advice, and I'm looking forward to getting brewing again.

Attachments

• boiler.jpg
    boiler.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 81
  • wiring diagram.JPG
    wiring diagram.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 62
well, I changed the 98°C thermostat for a burco adjustable thermostat and it worked fantastic.

I was able to get it to hold a steady 65°c during the mash, and held a nice rolling boil. All in all a success.

I now have 1 gallon of IPA fermenting away.

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_151606414.jpg
    IMG_20210501_151606414.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20210501_170429310.jpg
    IMG_20210501_170429310.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-20210501-WA0012.jpeg
    IMG-20210501-WA0012.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back