Coolbox size

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm 'inheriting' a 90L coolbox. It's got a drain hole in it already so tap fitting should be a breeze. I'll post the dimensions later but what is the SMALLEST mash i should attempt in something this size? Dead headspace will draw heat away to a certain degree, and a shallow grain bed is not too good at straining particles.
Some proper scientific reasons would help me lots here. Or at least some reasons by you clever chaps. :thumb:

I'm thinking about a new type of strainer too-one based on Beerbelly's design. It's good so i thought i might as well copy it if i can. And i have a bit of sheet SS to use too. :hmm:

If i can get this CB to work well as an MT, there's no reason i can't, then i'm a third of the way to a cheapo 100L batch size. Or bigger doing two boils... :hmm: :cool:

Which means my proper upgrade to shiny would have to be 200L+ batch size. Marvellous. :D

There are obvious problems you have already stated, but in addition you also have a much larger surface area to volume ratio, so excessive oxidation of the mash is quite likely . . . . This can lead to a dulling of malt flavours.

Ideally you match your Mash tun to your brew length so that you minimise heat loss and maintain a small SA:Vol ratio . . . but with a grain bed of around 18 inches - not deeper

Thanks Aleman. I thought there would be some issues.
But i could do a no sparge brew with it. Be something interesting to play about with. :hmm:

Back