Cooling down

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardup82

Reaction score
Hi,

Today I have started a Youngs Lager kit and an EDME Irish Stout kit. Whilst I think everything has gone fine I am waiting for the wort temp yo drop so I can pitch the yeast. I have no way of cooling it down quickly so can I leave it overnight and pitch yeast in the morning? The FV's are standing on a tiled floor in the kitchen which is about the coolest place they can go.

Ohhh and one other thing has any one had any experience of these kits and how lively they are? Have used 500g of light spray malt and 500g of brewing sugar in the lager and 500g dark spray malt and 500g of brewing sugar in the stout. The wife will go mad if I flood the kitchen!

Thanks

What temp are they at now then? Its better to get the yeast in fairly quick but some people on here cool overnight with no problems.
Have you thought about chucking them in a bath with cold water?

Stick it in the bath with some cold water. Add ice if you have any :)

Other than that stick the lid on with the airlock etc and then add the yeast in the morning.

I used about 10l of mineral water in each as wanted the bottles as PET demijohns, this was at room temp so I think this is what has done it. The stout instructions said to use 3.5litres of boiling water which obviously also increased the temperature.

Lager is at 24-25 and Stout 27-28. I know the lager one can go in fairly soon but the stout says between 18-21.

I live in a town house and the bath is up 2 sets of stairs and there is no way I will get them up stairs without spilling them all over the place!

Too be honest I'd put the yeast in, around 8-9 pm tonight, You can pitch dried yeast up to 28c as long as it's cooling down at that point and not stopping at those temps :thumb:

wardup82 said:
I live in a town house and the bath is up 2 sets of stairs and there is no way I will get them up stairs without spilling them all over the place!

Nonsense. We have a3 story house, and I've got fvs full up and down no problem! Lol

johnnyboy1965 said:
I cant understand that if they are kits, why is the temp so high?

As he said, the "cold" water was at room temp, so it didn't cool the book king water down as much as instructions expected...

Latest posts

Back