Coopers Irish Stout Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I got some treacle today and am planning to make the following recipe. I like treacle taste and dont think I would mind if it were strong.
I plan a 5 gallon batch using some Kveik Voss yeast which i took from my last brew about 3 weeks ago. Its sitting in jars in fridge. {Should this still be ok or do u advise a way I can test it first}?

1 Coopers Irish Stout Kit 1.7kg
1 kg Brown Sugar
500g Extra Dark DME
1 tin (454g Lyles Black Treacle

Hydrometer isnt working correctly so what sort of ABV do u think I could expect from that recipe....Cheers

I got some treacle today and am planning to make the following recipe. I like treacle taste and dont think I would mind if it were strong.
Personally I wouldn't recommend it - treacle is a really strong flavour, and it will end up tasting more of treacle than beer. A full tin in a 5 gallon brew works out at more than 11g per pint. To get some idea of how that would work out, try putting not quite a full tablespoon of treacle in a pint of stout, make sure it's fully dissolved, and see what you think.

With the 1kg of brown sugar you're already going to be a bit on the sugary-flavour side anyway, but it's up to you.

Ty for your feedback Northern Brewer I appreciate it. The last few beers I have brewed have been pretty weak and I was looking to brew something perhaps with a bit more kick maybe around 5%'ish. While wishing for a stronger brew I also want something thats nice to drink and of course I am willing to tweak what I suggested earler.
How about this then would this be better do u think and do u have a rough idea what sort of abv I would get from it?

5 gallon batch
1 coopers Irish Stout Kit 1.7kg
750g Brown Sugar
500g Extra Dark DME
1/2 tin 227g Lyles Black Treacle.

I'm with NB. Personally I wouldn't use treacle at all but if I did I would be conservative, 2% ish seems sensible. I'd be Focus ing more on DME/ brew enhancer. Your shout though.

Steeping some roast grain like dark crystal and roasted barley would make for better results I think.

My best advice to the kit and kilo brewers would be to replace the kilo of sugar with 1.5 kilo of pale malt grains. Steep in a few litres of hot water at 65 to 70°C, remove grains, boil and add to your bucket with the kit tin and cold water. Cheaper and better than malt extract and loads better than sugar. Use more grain for higher ABV. Cost effective and the real deal.

Latest posts

Back