Stout with Kveik Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have 2 x Coopers Irish Stout Extract Kits coming on Thursday 8th March (3 days away) and I am hoping I can have something drinkable within a week. Is this overly ambitious or what? lol. The Cheltenham Horse racing festival starts on Tue 14th till Fri 17th March and I'm desperate to be drinking an Irish Stout at some point during it.
I have also ordered a Mangrove Jacks Enhancer 2 as well as 500g extra dry spray malt. But my secret ingredient is a packet of Kveik Voss Yeast which I am told ferements in days!!!!

My plan is to brew on thursday 8th with 1 x Can Coopers Irish Stout (1.7kg)
1 x Mangrove Jacks Enhancer 2 (1.2kg)
1 x Kveik Voss Yeast (11g)

I have heard this yeast can be used at very high temperatures ......so am I better to use my heating belt (which I havent used for years) on until it finishes or keep my FV covered with old blanket duvet etc? How long realistically would you expect the Stout to be finished, ready. force carbed and ready to drink?.... also with those ingredients I mentioned what sort of ABV should I roughly attain? between 4% & 5%?

After I have made this I am going to make the second Coopers Irish Stout with 1 x Can Coopers Irish Stout (1.7kg)
1 x 500g Extra Dark Spay Malt
1 x 750g Brown Sugar
1 x Reused Kveik Yeast

This brew wont be important time wise but will be as an experiment where I intend to reuse the Kveik yeast from the first brew. I have never done this before and watching it on you tube it goes from the simple to the ridiculously complicated. Again Id like a rough estimate of what my ABV may be using the above ingredients but I am really keen to seek some advice on the simplest way to reuse the yeast. Also how long can you store in jars in a fridge and how many times can you reuse it?

look forward to your words of wisdom tyvm.

Have a look at David Heath re the Kveik yeast and dry it and freeze it that way you can always use newer generation yeast than ongoing repitching of possibly changing yeast.

Look at the likely attenuation of your chosen yeast and then you'd need the original gravity of the wort before you pitch the yeast to indicate your likely final gravity and hence ABV.

Your original gravity will depend on how much water you add to the kits!

Ensure you mix it really well then mix it again before checking that OG.

I reckon pressure fermenting and cold crashing a stout I could be drinking it in a week or less ( but I haven't tried it ) shortest was 9 days for an emergency beer.

Stout can work really fast I wonder if all the burnt bits provide nutrition for the yeast or something. Kviek goes like a rocket to. So combine both effects and you will be fine.

Yes you could do it, but is it going to taste good is the big question. The higher the temp on the Voss the more of those orange esters it will produce, could be like drinking a roasty chocolate orange.

Hornindal however is an awesome Kveik strain for using to brew stout quickly.

Oh and make sure you have lots of yeast and lots of nutrient, it needs it to rip through.

Might be worth taking a look at the Craft Beer Channel, they did an IPA in 36hrs a few weeks ago, you'll then understand about the yeast and nutrient.

I did a stout before Xmas and made a starter from some previously top cropped Lallemand Voss and half a packet of MJ Boho Lager yeast, because why not, it's my beer.

Started it off a 25c ish and let it drop to about 21, and it was mostly done in about 4 days.

EDIT: I should add that it was one of the best stouts I've made (IMO), but my notes say that it was a bit green and watery right out of the fermenter. After a month and certainly up until Feb, it was much, much better.

1678207983596.png

Last edited:
I've made a few of them and you'll have drinkable beer after a week (from grain) but I wouldn't want to share it until at least week 2. I've found week 3 is where it turns great.
I use the belt to keep it at 35C and 13 psi.

I made an Imperial Stout last October with Kveik Voss hoping its wonder powers would help it cope with the high alcohol and speed up the conditioning. It dealt with the fermentation brilliantly but even fermenting at cooler temps (25c) produced quite a sharp/acidic taste (what others describe as orange).

It's gotten better with time, but has taken 6 months to get there. I'd use Kveik again when brewing a high strength beer, but with so many different strains, i wouldn't use Voss in a stout. The citrusy sharpness doesn't suit the flavour profile.

I made an Imperial Stout last October with Kveik Voss hoping its wonder powers would help it cope with the high alcohol and speed up the conditioning. It dealt with the fermentation brilliantly but even fermenting at cooler temps (25c) produced quite a sharp/acidic taste (what others describe as orange).

It's gotten better with time, but has taken 6 months to get there. I'd use Kveik again when brewing a high strength beer, but with so many different strains, i wouldn't use Voss in a stout. The citrusy sharpness doesn't suit the flavour profile.
Same here only mine was made October 2021. Its enjoyable enough but the citrus flavour doesn't suit it.

i brewed my coopers irish stout last thursday 9/3/23 i brewed it with Mangrove Jacks beer enhancer 2. I also used the mangrove jacks Kveik Voss yeast. I was hoping to have it finished fermenting an a few days and possibly have it in a keg by today or tomorrow. However I am disappointed to report that the stout is still actually fermenting. The only reason I purchased it was to try and brew in 2 or 3 days. I have not used a heating belt as I read some people said if you do you get an orange flavour which did not appeal to me. I have brewed it at around 18/20 degrees and it is still bubbling away. I also plan to brew another Coopers stout straight away afterwards and was wondering if it would be ok to brew ontop of the trub in the fv? Or would it be recommended I pour the trub into jars first and brew the next day. I have never reused yeast before and want to experiment doing it but I would like as simple method as possible. look forward to replies tyvm

i brewed my coopers irish stout last thursday 9/3/23 i brewed it with Mangrove Jacks beer enhancer 2. I also used the mangrove jacks Kveik Voss yeast. I was hoping to have it finished fermenting an a few days and possibly have it in a keg by today or tomorrow. However I am disappointed to report that the stout is still actually fermenting. The only reason I purchased it was to try and brew in 2 or 3 days. I have not used a heating belt as I read some people said if you do you get an orange flavour which did not appeal to me. I have brewed it at around 18/20 degrees and it is still bubbling away. I also plan to brew another Coopers stout straight away afterwards and was wondering if it would be ok to brew ontop of the trub in the fv? Or would it be recommended I pour the trub into jars first and brew the next day. I have never reused yeast before and want to experiment doing it but I would like as simple method as possible. look forward to replies tyvm
Voss ferments fast at the upper end of its temp range so 2/3 days at 32’+ at lower temps it will take longer. I’ve found the orange flavour as “musty” and don’t use Voss.
You can put the new beer on the yeast cake again but I wouldn’t unless the next beer is a big abv beer. There will be a massive over pitch with the yeast already there. Best to use a new pack of yeast or top crop during fermentation.

I have made stouts with Kveik, both Hornindal and Voss. I fermented them hot for the benefit of a speedy fermentation.

I found the Voss gave it a weird fruity flavour, subtle but enough to upset the balance of flavours of the beer and make it taste “thin”.

The Hornindal worked well flavour wise, but it needed a fair bit of conditioning time, which negated any time advantage of a speedy fermentation.

I’ve stopped using Kveik, I prefer nottingham yeast for a stout.

Just my experiences, I’m sure there better ways of doing it.

Latest posts

Back