Copper for Wort Chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marksa222

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at making a wort cooler... looks fairly easy and they're expensive to buy.

I've looked in Wickes and they have 8 and 10mm coils of copper, both in 10m lengths. Does anyone know which would be best for the cooler? Or is there anywhere better to buy from? They're £24 in Wickes.

Thanks

Perhaps I got it the wrong way round. You want a larger surface area to a smaller volume so more heat is dissipated, hence why you use 8mm. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
Perhaps I got it the wrong way round. You want a larger surface area to a smaller volume so more heat is dissipated, hence why you use 8mm. :thumb:
No, I'm just a moron lol

The area of a cross section increases by the power of two (pi x r x r) whereas the circumference just by 2 (2 x pi x r), or in other words, smaller is better (to a point).

Have you tried Plumbase...25m x 8mm for £30 inc VAT?

Thanks guys. I got 10m of 8mm copper from plumbase this morning. Wrapped it round a suitably sized bucket and think it'll do nicely. It won't win any awards for presentation, but it should work fine. It cost £11 or there abouts.

Next question, if I got some 10mm tubing from somewhere and put it over the in and outlet I bent in the copper, would that be about the right size? I plan on fixing with jubilee clips and look out for a tap attachment.

Ta

Sounds about right. I used some clear flexible tubing for the outlet and a small piece of the same as a gasket over which I fitted my garden hose for the inlet, both secured with jubilee clips.

just pressure test it by having the water turned on full and stand on the outpipe just to make sure all the jubilee clips hold before you brew n step on it by mistake ;)
when Hot water runs thru even garden hose pipe softens with the heat and it will take litle pressure to seal closed the outpipe if stood on..

Good stuff, will do. Would 10mm clear pvc tubing do the job or will the water coming out being so hot cause problems?
:edit: please ignore last question. I've found some old syphon tube that fits snugly over the end of the pipe. To finish off the wort chiller, i just need some way of attaching the tube (about 10mm) to the tap. The hose connectors i've looked at are all much thicker. Is there an adapter I would need, and if so, any idea of where to get it from?

I used 8mm to 15mm copper pipe connector the fitted a male tap connector to a piece of 15mm pipe. I then attached some brass hose connections to this. So all the pipes unclip ready to be stored away. :thumb:

Yes that's what you want then a short bit of 15mm pipe and then a male tap fitting and a brass hose snap fitting. That way you can use a normal hose and hose fittings on a tap.

marksa222 said:
Thanks. Would something like this be suitable?

if u use something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-15mm-to-1 ... 1c147c9773

u should be able to loose the 15mm pipenut and olive and screw the male hose connector directly onto that with an appropriate reducer if needed? if u get the male hose connector for screwing onto taps like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hozelock-Indo ... 3cd3a60f99 it should come with a suitable reducer :) if loose cos the threads are a parallel and tapered mix use ptfe tape generously

sorry 8mm tube try this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compression-R ... 2a17d3d224

Latest posts

Back