Craigtube English Style Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anigeluk

Daft Cat Brewing
Reaction score
Just brewed my first attempt at Craigs English Style Porter. My first attempt at a partial instead of my previous all extract brews.

I've learnt a few things, namely that a bigger pan and a gas burner will make it easier and quicker, and that its a good idea to start partials earlier in the day rather than wait till the little un is in bed.

Now its just time to wait :cheers:

Anyone else tried this brew before and what were your thoughts? :drink:

Heres Craigs recipe for anyone who hasn't seen it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxixrzoLWSI

Recipe:
1.5kg (3.3lb) light liquid malt extract, unhopped
1 can Coopers English Bitter
500g (1.1lb) Light Dry Malt Extract
500g Crystal 60L
230g Chocolate Malt
1oz Fuggles Hops
1 Proflock tablet
Windsor English Style Yeast

- Bring 2.5 to 3 Gallons of water to 165F and add grains in a large grain bag.
Temp should drop to 160F. Maintain that the best you can. (put something like a plate on the bottom of your pot so you don't burn your grain bag)
- Steep at 160F for 40 minutes. (covered)
- Remove grain, drain well, and bring water to boil.
- Fallow instructions on yeast packet to re-hydrate the yeast. Keep covered until 70F
- Add the worlflock and unhopped extract WITH THE POT OFF THE HEAT. Stir in and bring back to the boil, watching for boil-overs.
- Add the Fuggles Hops and continue to boil for 10 minutes. (un-covered)
- Flame out and add the Dry Malt Extract, then Coopers English Bitter. (in that order) Rinse cans with hot water to get all the extract. The Dry Malt might clump, just keep stirring.
- Quickly cool this down to around 100F if your top up water is cold, or 70F if your top up water is room temp. Top up to 23 Liters.
- Stir yeast and pitch.
- Ferment at 68F for two weeks, then bottle or keg. Bottles must sit for a month before drinking. Believe me, I tasted one after two weeks and it was NOT as good as the 1 month old ones.

It was quite a bit more effort than an all extract brew so I will be interested to see that myself.

I will let you know when it is ready.

Very interested in how this turned out is it really as good as Craig says? :hmm:

craigtube-porter.jpg

Well I've put it in the corny and given it a bit of carbonation. Not too much as I am not a fan of screaming carbonation levels.

Its still very young but I have to say I'm impressed.

I don't have all the technical words and experience to describe it but it is already a really nice brew and It has been getting even better over the past few days I have been sampling it. Not much sampling was done yesterday after a tour of the local Ringwood Brewery meant plenty of alcohol had already been consumed, but I have already had a couple tonight and I'm definitely getting the chocolate flavours coming through. A much more complex flavour profile than the Coopers Dark ale which is my normal go to kit brew. Its also noticeably stronger in alcohol but being a complete numpty in the hustle and bustle of my first non kit brew I forgot to note the OG. This is certainly reminiscent of and already preferable to the Tesco Finest Traditional Porter which was one of the few beers I would buy with any frequency. Got a lovely velvety smooth head which hangs around for 20 mins or so but if poured through a proper Guiness nozzle the head hangs around for ever

I will certainly be brewing it again and will let you know how it is after a bit of ageing

:cheers:

I had a go at this last week. I had to adapt the recipe slighty as my local homebrew shop had no fuggles or windsor stlye yeast. So I used northern brewer hops and a packet of the only yeast the shop stock.

I got an og of 1.048 and it foamed up in the FV quite nicely at first, but it did seem to calm down quite quickly.

Hopefully it'll come out alright.

M

Latest posts

Back