Dealing with a Brewzilla stuck mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Still getting to know this kit. Had a good mash in today but probably over egged the circulation flow as I found the mash stuck and it was damn near impossible ( and quite dangerous too) to lift the malt pipe to sparge. As I have the BZ stood on a 12 inch support I tried lifting the pipe out whilst stood on a chair. Never again!
Next time, should it happen, I intend to run off the wort into a bucket which may alleviate the weight, eventually, and suction (?) on the pipe making it easier to lift.
Any thoughts you helpful lot?

Still getting to know this kit. Had a good mash in today but probably over egged the circulation flow as I found the mash stuck and it was damn near impossible ( and quite dangerous too) to lift the malt pipe to sparge. As I have the BZ stood on a 12 inch support I tried lifting the pipe out whilst stood on a chair. Never again!
Next time, should it happen, I intend to run off the wort into a bucket which may alleviate the weight, eventually, and suction (?) on the pipe making it easier to lift.
Any thoughts you helpful lot?
Rice hulls, really good stir at mash in and another stir midway if it's gumming up. I had the same problem and this sorted it for me. I'd also use a milk crate to stand the BZ on.

+1 for a really good stir of the mash. I then do a second stir about 5-10 minutes in and the consistency goes from "thick and sticky" to "much looser" and the recirculation increases drastically. I don't need rice hulls.

Still getting to know this kit. Had a good mash in today but probably over egged the circulation flow as I found the mash stuck

Are you sure you had a stuck mash?

Im just wondering? How long did the malt pipe take to drain when you lifted it out?

buddsy

Rice hulls, really good stir at mash in and another stir midway if it's gumming up. I had the same problem and this sorted it for me. I'd also use a milk crate to stand the BZ on.
Thanks for that. I did use rice hulls but left it after the initial stir getting rid of dough balls. Another stir is a good idea. When I got to sparging I did carefully open it up using a metal spoon without any harm done.

Are you sure you had a stuck mash?

Im just wondering? How long did the malt pipe take to drain when you lifted it out?

buddsy
I'm pretty sure it was stuck. Took about an hour draining before it was anything like. My last brew I also used rice hulls but didnt use the top plate and all went really well. Also need to watch the speed of re circulation. So many things with this new kit but the results so far have been very good. Cheers!

I'm pretty sure it was stuck. Took about an hour draining before it was anything like. My last brew I also used rice hulls but didnt use the top plate and all went really well. Also need to watch the speed of re circulation. So many things with this new kit but the results so far have been very good. Cheers!
Stupid question from me. I see a number of comments on controlling speed of re-circulation. Isn't the pump just on or off? Or are you controlling via the tap on the re-circ arm? Wouldn't control this way be bad for the pump by adding downstream resistance?

Stupid question from me. I see a number of comments on controlling speed of re-circulation. Isn't the pump just on or off? Or are you controlling via the tap on the re-circ arm? Wouldn't control this way be bad for the pump by adding downstream resistance?
via the tap on the re-circ. It adds resistance to the pump, but as long as it's not completely shut off, it does no harm to the pump.

A fair point but much of what I have seen and read refers to controlling the flow through the tap at the ball joint by the re- circ arm. Even at full throttle it isnt a huge flow, knocking it back by a quarter or even half a turn wouldn't put too much pressure on the pump I wouldn't have thought but then I'm not an engineer 😅

A fair point but much of what I have seen and read refers to controlling the flow through the tap at the ball joint by the re- circ arm. Even at full throttle it isnt a huge flow, knocking it back by a quarter or even half a turn wouldn't put too much pressure on the pump I wouldn't have thought but then I'm not an engineer 😅
Throttling the flow, even to a trickle has no adverse effect on the pump, it is mag drive.

Back