Demijohn half full issue

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzpud

Reaction score
Hi All

Just pressed a load of red grapes from my garden grape vine but only had enough juice to fill half a Demijohn so stuck at what to do next. I have added half a crushed campden tablet to kill off unwanted bacteria but what can I use to top up to neck of jar? Is it best to add supermarket juice like Welch's with no preservatives or buy brewers concentrated grape juice or a wine kit to get the grape concentrate out of it to top up. Any ideas??

Any help appreciated.

As long as you leave enough headroom for the brew to ferment it doesn’t really matter.

Personally, ‘cos I like cheap and low alcohol wine, I would stick in a litre of Red Grape Juice from Lidl (99p at last purchase) and fill the rest with water!

Either way, enjoy!
athumb..

As long as you leave enough headroom for the brew to ferment it doesn’t really matter.

Personally, ‘cos I like cheap and low alcohol wine, I would stick in a litre of Red Grape Juice from Lidl (99p at last purchase) and fill the rest with water!

Either way, enjoy!
athumb..
OK thanks for your reply would you add any sugar with the yeast or is there enough in the grape juice?

Hi All

I topped up with 2 litre's of grape juice refrigerated from supermarket and took a specific gravity reading (1.060) and added some sugar dissolved in warm juice as per an online sugar calculator. Made a starter batch of juice, yeast and yeast nutrient and added to the juice. This morning its bubbling away nicely and has about half inch froth on top. Do I need to add anything else at this stage? Thanks all for replies.

Latest posts

Back