didnt realise blackberrys where so expensive!!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCheekyMonkey

Reaction score
well the time came to pick all me blackberrys from the hedges before they get the chop, managed to get about 800 grams (theres more to hopefully ripen in the next week or two before season end) so asked the missus to get me a couple of punnets to top up from the supermarket, bloomin eck! £1.50 for 150 grams of em :shock: needless to say i got the step ladders out and reached for those that where deemed that little bit too dangerous to get first time round!

Next year will definately be on it sooner and get loads :S

OMG! That's ten quid a kilo! I hope she had the good sense not to buy them.

By that reckoning I've already used and/or still got frozen at least a hundred quid's worth!

Also, my Mother has seen damsons on her local market for £1.20 a pound, so I've picked fifty quid's worth of those.

I'd better check on our freezer insurance.

I'm with you all the way there Monkey. I went blackberry picking last week with the inlaws. When I came home my mate said he had a fermentation bucket and a blackberry wine recipe for me. I weighed all my blackberries and only have 850g! The bloody inlaws kept the rest! Now it's a bit late for picking, and £15 a kilo for the berries is extortionate!

In fact, it is the reason I sought out this forum (day 1 as a member is going swimmingly), to see if anything could be done about my lack of berry goodness. Thankfully Moley mentioned on another topic that he uses Apple Juice so I think I'm going to make up the shortfall with that. I just hope I get the amount right and don't end up with blackberry cider, instead of wine.

Come to think of it. Blackberry cider wouldn't be bad at all! :grin:

SheyMouse said:
Thankfully Moley mentioned on another topic that he uses Apple Juice so I think I'm going to make up the shortfall with that.
850g (near-enough 2 lbs) blackberries, 2 litres of supermarket apple juice, 750g sugar plus water to 1 gallon (4.5 litres) should give you a nice light red / deep rosé of around 13% abv :thumb:

Where's the smug grin smiley? I picked and froze about ten pounds of them :D

Picked 1.3kg on my walk over the common today. :grin:

Mrs ll is making 3 b/berry crumbles as I type. :clap:

What a nice lady. :thumb:

PaulC said:
Where's the smug grin smiley? I picked and froze about ten pounds of them :D
Aaaaahhh, poor thing, is that all you could find? :cry:
I suppose the season has pretty well finished, unless you're right oop Norf.

I managed to average around 12oz/day over about 3 weeks in a brief ‘picking stop’ on my way to or from w**k, then we went out on the canals for a week so I got a few more.

I think I've used 18lbs so far, but there are still more in the freezer. This could become another ‘brew day’ because Mrs. Mole wants the space back.

However, that's absolutely nothing compared to one of the members on another forum I frequent, I think he's up to around 160lbs! He's obviously got a lot more free time than I have.

Back