Digital Thermostat Plug

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your beer is at the same temperature as your wall socket.

sorry thats a bit harsh, but its the beer temp thats important adding an external probe to something like that would be more work than boxing an stc1000 imho.

Not harsh at all, but I was thinking of having an extention lead from a socket to the inside of my fermenting enclosure with the digital thingy plugged into it.....

Not harsh at all, but I was thinking of having an extention lead from a socket to the inside of my fermenting enclosure with the digital thingy plugged into it.....

Pleased you wrote that as the very same thought crossed my mind this weekend, interested to hear how you get on. I was thinking Cupboard with small fan heater.

STC-1000 will work out a similar price if you use tupperware etc and I think would give you more options/flexibility but if this suits a cupboard install it would be a good all-in-one solution.

measuring the beer temp rather than the air around it would be better imho
the beer is live and can create heat so could easily end up a good few degrees warmer than the air in a closed box.. a ight closed insulation box itself may be all you need if fermenting in the house, a cold shed or garage perhaps would need some input over the winter tho.

It's an interesting one, with the probes you can measure the brew temp, air temp or a control temp (glass of water in the same cupboard). But all the brewing guides/books/instructions talk about air temps. I have my probe hanging freely in the brew fridge towards the top but not at the top so I'm measuring air temps and matching those to the instructions for that kit.

sorry thats a bit harsh, but its the beer temp thats important adding an external probe to something like that would be more work than boxing an stc1000 imho.

Took your advice - just ordered an stc (£10.49!) and picking up a Freecycle fridge/freezer this morning. Should the sensor be attached to the side of the FV for best results? (I'm assuming it doesn't go inside!)

Fwiw Im in the tape to the FV side behind a patch of insulation camp, some advocate dipping the probe in the beer either naked or within a thermo-well/pocket, and others suggest either hanging free in the fridge or in a bottle/glass of water.

my reasoning is that any change effected by the heating/cooling via the air will impact on the beer next to the wall first, and when fermentation isnt most active and the beer isnt mixed up well due to rising co2 bubbles measuring the vessel wall temperature will?should? minimise any risk of overshoting the target temp in either direction? But its just my reasoning....

For the same money you can get an STC1000 set up. I've done that, never looked back!

Ordered one today, and just picked up my free fridge freezer. How long is the sensor cable that comes with the stc? Can they be extended if needs be? Going to feed the sensor and power cable through the drain hole - length will determine where stc goes!

Thanks Fil, I'll tape it to the side of the fv with insulation over it.

The sensor cable is probably about a metre in length, 2 metres at most. I would imagine you can extend it but just attaching some single-core cable onto it, either with solder and/or insulating tape. I have the FV next to a socket with the STC sitting on top of the FV, and the probe fed through the airlock into the FV. If I get a chance I'll take a pic to show you exactly what I mean. It works a treat.

you should be able to extend the cable ok. it works by resistance change so ensure you make good positive contact and isolate the extension connections
And check calibrate the probe/controller with an ice water bath for colse to 0C and boiling water for close to 100C reference points,

the eti thermapen manual pdf available online details the calibration tests on pages 16-17 iirc..

Latest posts

Back