REVIEW - Inkbird alternative on Amazon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just ordered this from.Amazon, was after another Inkbird but don't appear to be any good offers currently. Not an endorsement of the product as I have not received it or tested it, but worth a shot in my book for £9.99

Deal: Xetron Temperature Controller Digital Thermostat Socket UK 230V 10A, 2-Stage Outlet Cooling Heating Switch for Fan Freezer Aquarium Reptile Seed Homebrew Heater, STC-1000Pro NotWIFI https://amzn.eu/d/b6vNd45

Ok , so for those in a hurry , this seems to work fine and of good quality.

Arrived very well packaged with individual inserts for the unit, sockets etc. Also included 2 temp probes , dont know if that was intentional.

The unit seemed a little easier to program than the Inkbird , which may just be a memory thing (me not the device). There is more information displayed.

Here its showing the Current temp (PV) Desired temp (SV) The temperature at which cooling will kick (Csp) in and the temperature heating will kick in (Hsp) ,these values are customisable down to .1.

The 'sun' icon indicates its heating and this changes to a snowflake if its cooling.

IMG_20231101_153731.jpg

I put 20L of tap water into my fermizilla and placed the temp probe inside a home made thermowell inside the fermenter. I also placed my Ispindel inside the fermenter as well. I connected the heating socket to a heat belt wrapped around the stand of the fermzilla and put the insulating jacket on.

Initially the temp was showing at 14.2 , the basic stick on thermometer was showing 14 so that was encouraging.

I set the controller to maintain 20 degrees, that heating would kick back in if it dropped by .5 (which is reflected in the 19.5 on the display and i left the cooling as was as i have no way of cooling currently and thats not much of a challenge in the current weather.

The controller turned the heating circuit on and the belt got warm, over the next 24 hours the temp raised to the desired 20 degrees. I compared the temperatures being measured by the controller and that of the Ispindel and found that there was always a difference of around .6 or .7 degrees with the controller reporting the higher figure.
IMG_20231103_093058.jpg
IMG_20231103_093109.jpg

I don't know which is the more accurate but for my purposes I don't think its going to be significant. I may take the .7 into consideration when setting the desired temp, but the temp of the ispindel is obtained within an air pocket inside the device whilst the temp prob is almost directly in contact with the liquid.

Over the next 48 hours it maintained the temp , turning off the belt at the desired temp and turning it back on when temp dropped to 19.5.

Overall for the price I am very happy - longevity may be an issue , only time will tell .

Week into managing my ferment of cherry sour (can't wait). Has been rock steady so far.
Screenshot_2023-11-16-14-03-32-211_com.warpkode.brewfather.jpg

The .5 - .7 difference in reported temp has remained .

Last edited:
That £9.99 one looks a bargain. If I didn't have a couple of STC-1000s already assembled I'd be tempted.

Coincidentally I dug out one my STC-1000s this morning to take over from a Raspberry pi based temp controller that appears to be buggy. For the sake of continuity I stuck the STC's probe next to the existing one so I could calibrate it. The STC one kept climbing half a degree more than the other every time the light bulb that is acting as the heater came on and then settled down to the same temp when it went off. Eventually realised that this was because the existing one has a shiny metal cover and the STC is matt black so it was absorbing radiated heat. Moved it to the other side of the fermenter from the bulb and they stayed in sync. STC is now in control and the Raspberry pi is going to be interrogated.🧐

Latest posts

Back