Digital Wifi Hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought premade iSpindel from Ben Polley on eBay. Same reasons (returnee to homebrewing late last year after many years away, couple of seemingly stuck fermentations) plus a nerdy side of me that wanted to try it out.
Followed the calibration instructions / method Ben sent, and after a few false starts, probably due to a lack of understanding on my part, managed to set the thing up fairly easily.
Calibrated by starting with water and a sugar solution at 1.080. Used a largish jug (just about got by with a 3l jug we already had, just big enough to free float the iSpindel). Then used a couple of measuring jugs to make solutions at 1070, 1060 etc checking the actual SG with a normal hydrometer alongside the tiltmeter readings. Fed my data into the online calibration calculator and bingo, up and running.
Used it in my first brew over the last couple of weeks and been really impressed at how well it seems to have done the job

No sorry, not as clear as I thought. Made up 3l at 1080 then diluted down to get the lower gravities. Used to working with diluting solutions down to required concentrations in labs so seemed easiest way to do it. Using normal hydrometer to check SG readings made up for any slip ups. Adding some of the waste sugars to the next brew just before boil up, waste not want not :cool:

No, ran some numbers through an online correction calculator (brewersfriend), decided was so close that I could not be bothered (1080 vs 1081. More interested in seeing when fermentation stopped so constant reading. Realise could have gone with the default calibration for this but thought I'd at least give calibration a go.

Good practice if you ever need to fit a replacement battery (which might have a different weight). Anyway thanks for your story.

I'm just waiting on some resistors arriving and will then be putting some on ebay. Shout if anyone is interested - altho not sure the rules on selling here ??

Back