Do I or Don't I

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do I open a bottle?

• Open a bottle

• Leave them alone

Results are only viewable after voting.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
Have recieved this this morning....

IMAGE_138.jpg

Incredibly rare Six Pack of Unopened, incredibly well preserved Bass Charrington Anniversary Ale, produced in a very limited run in 1984 to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the Preston Brook, Runcorn Brewery
The bottles look virtually as fresh as they day they were filled, and the carry pack is unused, virtually free from wear, and no tears. This is now 26yrs old! :shock:
A true Timewarp piece of Breweriana,and Brewing history.

Have had a look and the beer is crystal clear and still well carb'd...

So do I don't I??

So what's that worth to a collector of breweriana, and by how much would it be devalued if there were 5 full and 1 empty?

Let us suppose those are the last 6 bottles in existence, if you drank 5 would the last one become priceless?

If you hide it away for a further 10 years, what might it be worth then?

Do you value the items or merely their ownership?

How annoyed would you be if you opened one and it was awful?

Bottom line: I don't know, I would probably drink one.

You'll only be disapionted, you know how much of a beer snob ya turn into after AG brewing for a while, pack'em away, in fact buy up all the remaining ones that come on ebay and then in a few years you can sell them at stupid money to posh pubs and collectors :thumb:

These are the one's on ebay so most likely the only 6 in exsitance?
I brought them cos no body else did, and I know some beers can be very nice with age, Not really thought about how much they could be worth? Any one know of any Breweriana collectors?

Mm still stuck with what to do!

Drink them all.
Fill them with homebrew.
Cap them.
Put Gold Foil on them.
Sell them.

:D

I'd treat it the same as any other beer. It was brewed to be drunk, not sat on a shelf to gather dust :drink:

For all we know.....thats what MD's seller has done! :shock:

Best try one :D

For me they look like a special occasion beer. I would certainly drink them but I would wait for a significant event and probably share the experience with close friends. :cheers:

I would get stuck in :whistle:

If you try one and its good then there all as good as drunk!! :drink:

I WOULD LEAVE EM ALONE.

BASS ARE NO MORE, THEREFORE THEY WILL ONLY GO UP IN VALUE!

And the chances are after 25 years its going to taste like ****.

I remember I once opened a bottle of marstons ale made to commemorate Charles and Di's wedding, and it was not good, not off just not nice, I was very disapointed!

If you don't drink it you wont be disapointed!

Best thing would be to Keep em until the Antiques Road show is in your area, take them along then ask Fiona Bruce if she fancies going "bottoms up" with you! :rofl:

Shane

I think I agree with unclepumble, I voted “open one” but would like to change my vote to “leave them alone”.

However, thanks Muddy, this thread reminded me of two bottles of malt whisky I have stashed away upstairs. I know I bought them in February/March '99 from a little whisky shop in Pitlochry but unfortunately I didn't note down what I paid for them. I am certain they were only in the £20 - £30 bracket. They were bought as a “put them away for a very special occasion” but with half a mind towards investment as the distillery closed in '83.

The bottles in question are Dallas Dhu, a Gordon & MacPhail, distilled 1979, bottled 1998, 40% abv and a Signatory, distilled 11/12/80, bottled 8/97, no. 699 of 820, 43% abv.

A quick google shows that the pair are probably now worth around £350 :thumb:

Looks like they are going back into hiding for another ten years, unless anyone wants to make me a stupid offer.

Stash the Bass.

I've had an answer from My mate Buster who has spoke to a Man at Bass now Coors, And they have loads of them bottles in storage............
So bottoms Up :drink:

:cheers:

could easily be spolied, I say leave it.

On the other hand... what's the most its ever going to be worth, is it likely to make your fortune?

muddydisco said:
I've had an answer from My mate Buster who has spoke to a Man at Bass now Coors, And they have loads of them bottles in storage............
So bottoms Up :drink:

:cheers:

I work for Coors, & I have yet to see any, (I would imagine its locked away in the old beer vault though, no one gets in there)
However I would still leave em in the bottle cos they will more than likely be Past their best, just look at the james may and oz clarks tasting of some very old bass beers, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAScQrRi ... re=related

James Mays comment of it tastes like it has been strained through mag witches underpants is classic.

Back