Do you find that your friends dont give a hoot that you brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
I try and make conversation every now and again with friends who are really into their ales. It turns to my homebrew and what AG beers I have on the way, say I'll give them a bottle but it falls on deaf ears... they couldn't give a damn! Not even a "nice", "that's good, how exactly do you do it?" .... nothing. Do any of you experience that? It seems strange they aren't really interested, even though they relish going on a pub crawl round some nice real ale boozers.

Its even stranger when its someone who loves cooking and loves their ale. Given the similarites in the processes you'd think more people would be interested. Instead I find my scientist friends are more interested even if they arent really ale drinkers.

I should change your mates buddy! (Kidding)

I have an increasingly long queue of mates all putting their orders in!
2 of them have booked in separately to come and spend a brew day with me and 3rd is asking lots of questions :)

Initially I found folks weren't fussed... Reckon they were scared it would taste pants! I would take a selection of bottles round for them the try as a "thanks for having us" pressie.

That was the turning point... Folks tried them there and then or after we had gone. Little flurry of texts would follow and a cheeky order would be placed :)

My mates tend not to be intrested overly In the process but certainly enjoy the end product.

Some are some aren't. A few of my mates that are into craft beers are more interested than others. At the end of the day its a personal hobby and you can come across as a bit of a "beer bore" (so swimbo tells me) when you talk about it too much. Frankly most people just don't find talking about yeast, hops, etc as stimulating as we might. Alternatively they are just jealous because their wives/girlfriends would never let them get away with taking over the kitchen every weekend to make beer or turning the spare bedroom into a micro brewery/storage warehouse.

Initially I found folks weren't fussed... Reckon they were scared it would taste pants!

Agree. A lot of people hear home brew and have recollections of some horrible brew in a bag that they tried 20 years ago. They automatically think home brew is going to be bad.

Very interesting ! They haven't yet tried any of my beer so perhaps they think it's going to be a load of tosh. It's likely. Hopefully when they've tried one their ears may perk up and they'd be more interested in the process.

My family are interested and seem to be impressed as are my friends too, but if I've made something different then I force it upon them to taste and let me know.

all my mate are more than happy to drink the **** you find in chain pubs and bar but non of them would ever think to order an ale.

i only brew what i drink then i know its not going to be wasted

I have two friends in particular that have been mercilessly worn to death with my recent exploits. One* is brewing kits himself (and it's sort of his fault I got back into it!), but I'm probably even in danger of testing his patience with it, regardless how good some of my beer is getting!

One recent visitor was quite interested and loved a couple of my brews. He 'got' it, and remarked how it's a bit like someone baking you a cake rather than just buying one. For many though, I think it would take a blind tasting to get rid of the homebrew 'stigma'.

*He's an inactive member on here, actually. He knows who he is: there's a free pint in it if he's reading this. Just quote the reference code: PLEASESTOPTALKINGABOUTHOMEBREWEVERYTIMEWEHAVEAPINT to redeem. I think my money is safe.

the less my friends " like " my beers, the more their is for me and number 1 son.

Their loss....not mine

I wish I had never shown my mates my kegerator and corny kegs, the buggers drank a keg and a half last time they were round! Well to be fair I made one for them as they love a kegged wheat beer and they are welcome to it.

Anyway all are beer drinkers, real ale etc and they really appreciate it and ask questions, I'm sure some of them will start making beer at some point.

I think some as has been mentioned, turn their nose up because they hear the word 'Home' added to 'brew'. I bet if you said try this 'beer', next time one visits they might change their minds. We have some friends who are real wine snobs. Won't even buy wine in Aldi types. Anyway I put out a bottle and said nothing. Needless to say they drank it and said how nice it was. I then informed them it was home made. Their faces were a picture. And when I told them it only cost 30p a bottle they nearly choked. :lol:

We tend to have a Christmas do most years. For around 30 years my brother in law would bring his own as he refused to drink mine, without EVER trying some. A few years back he forgot to bring any so have to drink my beer. The following Christmas his first words as he walked through the door was how many different beers do we have this year.

I've only had a couple of people refuse to try my homebrew and they were both fierce "lager" drinking types. The sort that swear by one of the bad ones like fosters or carling and won't even try a different commercial lager as "they don't like them". Everyone else has been impressed but have shown a varied levels of interest into how it was made.

boozy_shoes said:
I've only had a couple of people refuse to try my homebrew and they were both fierce "lager" drinking types. The sort that swear by one of the bad ones like fosters or carling and won't even try a different commercial lager as "they don't like them". Everyone else has been impressed but have shown a varied levels of interest into how it was made.
Got a neighbour like that... has to be Carling, in a Carling glass, has to be 2c or less, won't drink anything else and refuses to try anything else. It confuses me! You don't eat the same meal day in and day out do you? When I'm going for a few beers I tend to have a variation of ales, and even lager from time to time if theres something interesting on tap

crE said:
boozy_shoes said:
Got a neighbour like that... has to be Carling, in a Carling glass, has to be 2c or less, won't drink anything else and refuses to try anything else. It confuses me! You don't eat the same meal day in and day out do you? When I'm going for a few beers I tend to have a variation of ales, and even lager from time to time if theres something interesting on tap

Yes it is confusing, I also had a boss (a pub manager no less) who only drank these sort of lagers and didn't even like Becks or any of the decent lagers as "they had too much taste" he said he just wanted something cold, fizzy and tasteless to throw down his neck to make him and his mates daft....

I find lots of friends are interested in it as an amusing story. The idea of having 80 pints brewing in the back of the kitchen (plus the wine...) seems to amuse them. Less are interested in the fact it may taste nice, and only two are interested in actually doing it. Most are actually real ale or ciders drinkers.

Hi
I'm a newbie to this but have got a few friends already interested in a bottle or 2
Also I noticed u done the wilco newkie 2 left lol I'm doing this later in the week ..how was it ? Did u brew as the tin etc or change it at all etc.

Thx Steve

Latest posts

Back