Do you sterilise your cider press?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Full

Reaction score
I have a small 6 litre centre-spindle cider press which I have used once. When it arrived the spindle thread was smeared with grease. If I fill the straining bag to the brim, the apple pulp comes into contact with the top few inches of the thread, and therefore the grease.

First time I used the press I poured boiling water over the spindle and collecting plate then wiped with a sterile cloth.

What does everyone else do?

One of the reasons I ask is that several cider makers have been on TV lately (Countrywise, countryfile etc) and their processing seems pretty.... unsanitary. Even saw one black apple with mouldy spots on going into the scratter!

Is this just "the magic of television"?

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

I guess campden will sort out any potential problems...and we are rather OCD about sanitizing in home brewing anyway, you gotta remember that just 50 years ago it was made in their version of a washing machine :lol:

I believe farms used to press with layers of straw to provide runnels for the juice.
Lubricate your thread with Vaseline, then contact with the juice won't matter.
The big boys don't even rinse the apples before scratting, never mind check for rotten ones!

Although it was not cider, i have made 2 gallons of apple and blackberry wine this year - all of the fruit was foraged, whilst nearly all of the apples were a bit on the skanky side with marks on the skins etc.
I just washed them and any that looked like the beasties had gotten through the skins were cut away - but that was it, in the blender they went, skanky skins and all!
The initial fermentation on the pulp started straight away and by day 3, it was away like a good un.
So, i think we may just be a bit OCDish about cleanliness some times.
That wine is finished and bulk ageing now and tastes pretty good at this point.

Thank you for the replies.

I have about 75 lbs apples in 5 carrier bags to process this weekend. They will give my new food processor something to chew on before going through the press, sulfite for 24hrs then pitch some lalvin ec-1118. Couple of 10 litre fermenters coming if the Yodel van ever arrives this evening... :pray:

Hoping to do one batch unadjusted and test pH on the other, adjust & see what difference it makes. Must remember to label them :hmm:

We have become a somewhat sanitary conscious society. An EC directive threatened to close down a small scale cider maker because of the cobwebs in his barn. His plea that the spiders killed the flies that could turn his cider into vinegar were dismissed.
Having said that, I rinse my equipment after use for obvious hygiene reasons, but I don't go as far as sterilising it.

I've got my best cider from terrible looking apples. Brown and mushy with white spots is best!

I hose the press down but I haven't sanitised it this year. Before I use it next year I'll probably get a paint brush and some strong Campden solution and brush all the wood down to give it a good chance, but the apples are teeming with all sorts of nasties so one can't get too worried about it.

The secret with wood is not to force dry it, oak has a natural bactericide in it's tannin.

I just wash the oak cage in the kitchen sink rinse with running water and allow to dry naturally, I then spray kitchen bactericide on the screw and collecting plate and dry with kitchen roll, as much to deter the fruit fly as anything else. My fruit press is the Vigo SS 12 litre, I am pleased with it.

As some one who has made cider for over 40 years no we do not sterilise the press only wash with cold water, we press the apples placing the juice and leave in a barrel that has only been washed with water to the first ferment this should be a max of 6 weeks then place in a barrel that has been sterilised until the end from now on everything needs to be sterilised :cheers:

The reason we sterilise every thing is that some 10 years ago we put 4500 gls down the drain no good 1 weeks work for two men we use citric acid and sulphar candles you do your way but for the time spent to sterilise I think you are wrong :cheers:

Steam brew said:
we put 4500 gls down the drain

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That must still hurt 10 years later!

Yes it does hurt but have retired now with only 19 trees in my orchard making some 6/700 gls , when we lost the cider it was found that there was 3 problems (1) mold growing in a joint in the wood barrel (2) mold coming from a pump seal (3) air born fungus from the cider house we had 7 barrels holding 4500 gls each but only the one closest to the door had the problem from that time on we sterilised everything :cheers:

Back