Does anyone else sit in the office thinking about brewing and beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssam

Reaction score
Hi all,

It's the dreaded mid-morning Monday. The grey London sky's aren't looking too inviting. I am stuck in the office with spreadsheet in front of me and all I can think about is sticking a brew on. I had a cracking hefewiezen from a local brewery here in Kent last night, I think that might be my next attempt.

I just thought I would see if I was the only one who sits in the office thinking about my next brew? Did I make the wrong life choice not to be a brewer?:doh:

Trust everyone is well

Pretty much and on here a bit throughout the day which doesn't help. Good to have a productive hobby to look forward to once the working day is over :)

Hi all,

It's the dreaded mid-morning Monday. The grey London sky's aren't looking too inviting. I am stuck in the office with spreadsheet in front of me and all I can think about is sticking a brew on. I had a cracking hefewiezen from a local brewery here in Kent last night, I think that might be my next attempt.

I just thought I would see if I was the only one who sits in the office thinking about my next brew? Did I make the wrong life choice not to be a brewer?:doh:

Trust everyone is well

Quite often I do. Doesn't help working from home sometimes too!

You are not alone. I read the forum every day or so, but I have five (almost) full 40 bottle crates in the garage so don't have the space to start another one at the moment. Doesn't stop me looking and thinking about what to do next though. Just reading the St Peter's Red Ruby thread, sounds tempting.

I think about anything except what I'm paid to be thinking about.

Glad it's not just me Gunge! I have spent the afternoon trawling eBay for a new all grain set up... hmm... oh well!

I don't work in an office, but my thoughts are often on my next brew. Not a "hefewiezen" though - sounds like it would taste like urine (ask a German to explain that one to you - or think about the fact that ei is pronounced I and ie is ee...)

Imagining the flavour combinations for a recipe is like meditation for me, and I use it when there is no birdsong for my after lunch rest.

I used to..... so I retired.....that overcame the problem...! :cool:

Still another 43 years until I can retire unfortunately! That must be amazing, to have that time, however - I can imagine you can easily get carried away sampling your good old home brew every evening!

I don't work in an office, but my thoughts are often on my next brew. Not a "hefewiezen" though - sounds like it would taste like urine (ask a German to explain that one to you - or think about the fact that ei is pronounced I and ie is ee...)

Imagining the flavour combinations for a recipe is like meditation for me, and I use it when there is no birdsong for my after lunch rest.

Haha.. I shall have to find the closest German to get an explaination... I am totally with you on the meditation part. I often find browsing the forum is enough for me.

Yeap, wasting time on here and dreaming of brewing is daily in my routine at work :twisted:

Yeap, wasting time on here and dreaming of brewing is daily in my routine at work :twisted:

Still another 43 years until I can retire unfortunately! That must be amazing, to have that time, however - I can imagine you can easily get carried away sampling your good old home brew every evening!
43 years eh..? That's unfortunate. Having the time to sit in the brew cave sipping/tasting different beers and dreaming up new recipe twists is indeed great.....but I still can't find the time to do that....well, not much...:whistle:

I'm self employed so I get to have beersmith on my office PC :grin:

Pretty much all the time to be honest, when can I squeeze in a brew day, what shall I brew, what tweaks can I make to a recipe to experiment, do I need to order anything, what funky equipment could I buy to help me etc etc. You know, those kind of things.

Nope. I took redundancy last year and now sit at home thinking I need to find more business in my new job as a self employed mortgage advisor. It does mean I am having a few beers on a Monday night though so cant complain.

Nope. I took redundancy last year and now sit at home thinking I need to find more business in my new job as a self employed mortgage advisor. It does mean I am having a few beers on a Monday night though so cant complain.

Glad I'm not the only day dreamer who thinks about his next brew all the blinking time! Best of luck with the new venture Ale. Have you approached any local online estate agents to see if they are willing to give you a space on their home page, and vice Versa? Or how's about setting up a blog giving your professional opinion on mortgage matters and highlighting potential best deals? Or slightly left field, could you pitch up to open houses and viewings etc to ensure clients are clued up on mortgages etc?

Just my 2pence...

Sorry, I just enjoy coming up with business plans/ideas

When I did work I used to log in and follow this and Jim's site especially when I was fist building my kit. Once we were given 3 years notice of redundancy (yes 3 years) I moved job to help the team to close the site down and started looking for kit to buy and often had this delivered to work.
I swear since I "retired" I have had less time for brewing info and sites a than I did when working.

I used to make beers for the folk at work, golfing tournament and special audits (FDAle) culminating in the Closure ale for redundancy. the strap line was "Bitter with a lovely finish" and I made 400 x 330ml bottles , one for each person the week before we closed.

When I did work I used to log in and follow this and Jim's site especially when I was fist building my kit. Once we were given 3 years notice of redundancy (yes 3 years) I moved job to help the team to close the site down and started looking for kit to buy and often had this delivered to work.
I swear since I "retired" I have had less time for brewing info and sites a than I did when working.

3years!! Wow, that sounds almost a public sector amount of time?! Well here's to making more time for the finer (brewing) things in life.

3years!! Wow, that sounds almost a public sector amount of time?! Well here's to making more time for the finer (brewing) things in life.

It was a Pharma site and it takes that long to transfer the products and get regulatory approval at other sites. In fact one of the products we used to make transferred to Brasil cannot get approval there until 2019, 4 years after we closed!
I spend the last year or so scouring the site for anything made of stainless steel that was no longer wanted. I have a bespoke stainless steel vessel approx 90 litres that cost £1600 to make and was never used! Also got 6 stainless 150 litre bins that were pharma grade SS, passed these on to a local brewery as they were too big for my kitchen, it almost became an obsession walking around saying " I could make beer with that"!

Latest posts

Back