Does this beer look normal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just trub. A whole whirlfloc for a 5L batch is way too much and causes the trub to clump up like that. I read somewhere to only use half a tablet in a standard 23L batch so I use quarter in my 11L batches. I also tip everything in and it's fine.

It's just trub. A whole whirlfloc for a 5L batch is way too much and causes the trub to clump up like that. I read somewhere to only use half a tablet in a standard 23L batch so I use quarter in my 11L batches. I also tip everything in and it's fine.
Oh yes that's loads too much then. Thanks for the reply. Cheers.

image.jpeg

The key lesson from this should be never use a clear fermentor seriously when you see a thick layer of of krausen it often looks pretty weird I have seen something pretty similar on a few of my beers and they have turned out absolutely fine in the end. It will hopefully drop to the bottom of the fermentor and leave you with clear beer on top, after a week or so.

The key lesson from this should be never use a clear fermentor seriously when you see a thick layer of of krausen it often looks pretty weird I have seen something pretty similar on a few of my beers and they have turned out absolutely fine in the end. It will hopefully drop to the bottom of the fermentor and leave you with clear beer on top, after a week or so.
Cheers

Ta, did you leave it in the fermenter longer till it cleared or just bottle it after 2 weeks?

I always wait till the gravity is right then cold crash, in my case it always falls to the bottom. Providing you don't syphon it into the bottles I see no issue.

I sometimes siphon my beers to a secondary bucket taking as little trub as possible and then cold crash it. I do this if a beer is a bit messy.

I get the same sort of brain when I do all grain and use whirlfloc. Only I leave mine in the pan when I siphon the wort into the fv. I'm sure it will be fine mate.

Latest posts

Back