Dried yeast question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got an out of date extract kit. A Brewferm Strong Blond. It was picked up for me at a boot fayre minus the yeast.
But I was given the following yeasts.
Are any of them suitable to make the kit as near as it should have been.
All are Safale.

S-04
WB-06
US-05

It have been advised that a Mangrove Jacks MJ-41 would be a good alternative but I'd need to get a sachet.
Can I use any of the Safale's or am I better going for the MJ?
Thanks.

I use Safale us05 most of the time, it's a really good safe yeast for light coloured hoppy beers and whilst I always rehydrate dried yeast, it's probably not required with this strain, also I only use half the recommended amount and it's never failed.

I've got an out of date extract kit. A Brewferm Strong Blond. It was picked up for me at a boot fayre minus the yeast.
But I was given the following yeasts.
Are any of them suitable to make the kit as near as it should have been.
All are Safale.

S-04
WB-06
US-05

It have been advised that a Mangrove Jacks MJ-41 would be a good alternative but I'd need to get a sachet.
Can I use any of the Safale's or am I better going for the MJ?
Thanks.
Assuming we're talking this then it's part of their "Belgian Selection" range, which with specs of 1.075 and target attenuation of 84% with 30-40IBU, implies they're aiming for something Duvel-like. And although Fermentis push WB-06 as a wheat beer yeast it's not, it actually seems to be a relative of yeasts traditionally associated with Duvel. So that would seem a no-brainer.

Also I'm not a great fan of WB-06 as a yeast, a Duvel clone would be about the only thing I would use it for whereas your other yeasts can be used for lots of different things, so again that points to using WB-06 with this kit.

Back