Drilling holes into a fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulpj26

Regular.
Reaction score
Forgive me asking such a simple question but I'm thinking about converting my spare fridge into a fermenting fridge using a stc-1000 as the temp control unit and I'm wondering what fitting I should use so when the sensor goes into the fridge it looks tidy? (I'm really not a very practical person but I can drill a hole! :lol: )

I'm going to tape the sensor to the side of the fermenter and then use something like bubble wrap to insulate the bucket, however, for the heating side of things I was thinking about using a heating belt but my concern is, would this pose a fire risk if I'm insulating the bucket with something like bubble wrap?

Would I need an alarm thingy (can't remember it's name :lol: ) to protect the compressor on the fridge?

:cheers:

I taped the sensor to the side of the bucket and then taped small square bubble wrap over the top. You probably dont need to put bubble wrap over the rest of the bucket.

I didn't bother adding a fitting for the 2 small holes I drilled in fridge side, both were pretty much filled by the cable and the unit seems to hold its temperature well.

DirtyC

The STC-1000 has built in compressor protection.

This is from the STC-1000 instruction manual

"All-purpose Temperature Controller STC-1000

Features:
Switch the modes between cool and heat; Control temperature by setting the temperature setting value and the difference value; Temperature calibration; Refrigerating control output delay protection; Alarm when temperature exceeds temperature limit or when sensor error."

swiggingpig said:
The STC-1000 has built in compressor protection.

This is from the STC-1000 instruction manual

"All-purpose Temperature Controller STC-1000

Features:
Switch the modes between cool and heat; Control temperature by setting the temperature setting value and the difference value; Temperature calibration; Refrigerating control output delay protection; Alarm when temperature exceeds temperature limit or when sensor error."

Nice one :thumb:

I'll get drilling (and brewing then!!) :D

As Swigginpig says, the STC should protect it.

MuddyDisco also offered me some useful advice when preparing the holes for the fridge. He said that occasionally a wire or pipe can be present in between the walls. His advice was to dril through outer casing then gently investigate with a screwdriver and feel for anything in the way, tapping it against the inside wall to establish nothin inbetween. Good advice.

I drilled 2 small holes side by side in the bottom front corner of the side.

Worked well but all the rattling seems to have broken the bulb in the fridge. No real problem though...

paulpj26 said:
Forgive me asking such a simple question but I'm thinking about converting my spare fridge into a fermenting fridge using a stc-1000 as the temp control unit and I'm wondering what fitting I should use so when the sensor goes into the fridge it looks tidy? (I'm really not a very practical person but I can drill a hole! :lol: )

I'm going to tape the sensor to the side of the fermenter and then use something like bubble wrap to insulate the bucket, however, for the heating side of things I was thinking about using a heating belt

Paul just done my fermenting fridge using a stc-1000,re the holes can you not pass the wire through the drain hole in back of fridge,
as for the heating side get a 45-60 watt (12") tubular heater cost about £14.
johnluc

The best heater is the one tool station sell. Everyone on the forums recommends them. I trapped my stc-1000 temp probe cable in the door. No need to risk a hole. If I was doing a neater job I'd have mounted the adaptable box I fitted the stc into onto the fridge and drilled down through that.
Definitely take the advice above. I was so close to ruining my kegerator thinking id missed all the pipes then spotted one last minutes. Feel around to see if there are any warm areas where you want to drill after just turning it on.

Paul just done my fermenting fridge using a stc-1000,re the holes can you not pass the wire through the drain hole in back of fridge,
as for the heating side get a 45-60 watt (12") tubular heater cost about £14.
johnluc

My project - hasn't failed!

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=25421

I drilled a small hole in the top for the STC probe and used the drain hole for the 60W tube heater cable.

I'm suspicious of making the probe location such an exact science (bubble wrapping to side of FV etc). I just dangle the probe in the dead space of the fridge. Generally, the wort ferments a degree or so warmer than the ambient air, so I just set the STC 1000 at 20 degrees +/- 1 degree (for ales) and leave it for 2 weeks.

Back