Drones close airport.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is crazy it seems like a small organised group could take out all the airports in the UK or even Europe or the world.

I have removed all the treehugger and brexit posts can we keep this on topic, thanks.

These are obviously not kids drones but from what i have heard today (listening to the radio) they are also not at the extreme and of the price range either, they can be programmed to fly to a destination form many miles away so the chances of the owners getting caught are slim, the biggest worry (according to a drone expert on 5 live) is any built in safety features designed to stop them flying where they shouldn't are fairly easy to disable if you know what you are doing. ashock1

That’s what I read too. As Simon says, the ability to use these drones to close airspace so easily is very worrying. Anti drone technology is going to have to catch up quickly!

Friend of mine who now works and lives in London due to fly back to family home for Xmas tomorrow from Gatwick. He is seriously ****** at the moment. I'm meant to be meeting up with him for a few beers on Saturday

I just heard on the US national news about this happening. And how airlines are grounded and many of UK and other countries, including some US people are stranded due to this. And how it is considered a planned event.

Good point Angie, i think people forget about those stranded in other countries as the news only seems to talk about christmas travellers stranded here.

In 1972, a crack northerner (or maybe just a northerner on crack) was sent to prison by a military court for a crime he didn't commit. This man promptly escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Barnsley underground. Today, still wanted by the government, he survive as a soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find him... maybe you can hire... GUNGE!!!!
The Ey Up Team :D

I just heard on the US national news about this happening. And how airlines are grounded and many of UK and other countries, including some US people are stranded due to this. And how it is considered a planned event.
Hi!
Wow! I'm surprised that anything that happens in the UK gets on US news.

Hi!

I guess there will have been a lot of American wanting to get here with no way of knowing when or if they would make it here in time.

Hi!

We hear about some things that happen over there. But, as I told Mom, I heard about it first on the UK forum I'm part of.

I guess there will have been a lot of American wanting to get here with no way of knowing when or if they would make it here in time.
And some not getting home from there, too. I would not want to be the drone controller when found. I think a mob would like to tear them limb from limb. And airlines are losing funds, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
My family was due to travel to Spain for the Xmas break on Thursday. Our flight was cancelled. Nothing was bookable until Boxing day, so we have rebooked and are taking a shorter break.
A few things, I live in Croydon so not too far away, and didn't have to travel far. I am a (currently) part-time modeller having flown RC models of all types(including drones) for nearly 40 years. I am also a part time shooter for game and pest control.
They cannot shoot down a drone with a rifle and be safe. A shotgun maybe but they'd have to be close, within 50-70 metres. A rifle bullet shot at 45 degrees will travel between 3 and 5 miles, and still impact with lethal force. Unless it's a shotgun, in the UK you don't shoot a gun without a backstop.
The drone operators could be miles away. The flight control boards can be capable of autonomous, pre-planned flight patterns. Some drones can hit 70-80 mph but they are built for racing, this type of drone was probably capable of 30 mph, so could have been launched some distance away given a 20-25 minute flight time.
As soon as we knew it was ongoing on the morning of our flight, I was certain we would not be able to travel.

What I do find shocking though on reflection, and knowing a little of what drones are etc.... is how the response seemed so ineffective, if not non-existant other than stopping all flights.
This was always a possibility, and has been for at least 7-8 years. It seemed that the best that could be done was to fly a couple of police helicopters around, tout a picture of some police marksmen with rifles they were NEVER going to fire, and hope for the best. The army was called in after the last sighting. The army potentially was the best chance of pre-empting who and whre the operators were, but they were called far too late.
I don't honestly think they have a clue what to do! The ignorance is almost wilful. Although she was talking about droine dropping contraband into prisons a month or two back, MP Liz Trusse stood up in the commons and said that Patrol dogs were being used to "Deter Drones" Literally the most stupid thing said this year in the commons!

Was it terrorism? At this stage I don't think so. More likely a guerilla tactic used by someone with an axe to grind. And a very successful tactic too!

And some not getting home from there, too. I would not want to be the drone controller when found. I think a mob would like to tear them limb from limb. And airlines are loosing funds, etc.

We may soon find out what penalty they will face - Full article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46649704

Police hunting those responsible for the Gatwick drones chaos have identified "persons of interest", the BBC understands.

The UK's second busiest airport has reopened after drones flying over the airfield closed it for more than a day.

Police are exploring "a number of lines of inquiry", including environmental activism and "high-end criminal behaviour".

Officers are focusing on "likely locations in and around the airport".

They said there was "no evidence" the use of the drones was state-sponsored.

Gatwick's runway reopened on Friday morning and 837 flights were scheduled, but there were still delays and cancellations.

Thousands of passengers - including some attending funerals, honeymoons and Christmas reunions with their families - remain stranded at Gatwick.

Airport closed again

@Leon103 they have got them by the ******** all they have to do is wait until everything is running smoothly again then fly another one in and within minutes everything grinds to a halt, how long before this is happening at every major airport in the world.

3 minutes ago on BBC News -

Flights at Gatwick have been suspended again due to a new "suspected drone sighting".

A spokeswoman for the airport said: "We are just hearing a report of another drone sighting that we are investigating.

"As we look into it we have taken the precaution of suspending flights."

Aircraft have been circling the skies over the airport as they are currently unable to land.

The sighting reportedly occurred at about 17:10 GMT.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive Breaking News on a smartphone or tablet via the BBC News App.You can also follow @BBCBreaking on Twitter to get the latest alerts.

Nice post @Alex.mc great info and insight! Sorry to hear about your holiday but bravo to you for a great attitude.

Was it terrorism? At this stage I don't think so. More likely a guerilla tactic used by someone with an axe to grind. And a very successful tactic too!

Spot on Alex and i think this is going to be the thin end of the wedge people who want to cause disruption for whatever reason now know a means of doing it with little chance of being caught.

What I do find shocking though on reflection, and knowing a little of what drones are etc.... is how the response seemed so ineffective, if not non-existant other than stopping all flights.
This was always a possibility, and has been for at least 7-8 years. It seemed that the best that could be done was to fly a couple of police helicopters around, tout a picture of some police marksmen with rifles they were NEVER going to fire, and hope for the best. The army was called in after the last sighting. The army potentially was the best chance of pre-empting who and whre the operators were, but they were called far too late.
I don't honestly think they have a clue what to do! The ignorance is almost wilful. Although she was talking about droine dropping contraband into prisons a month or two back, MP Liz Trusse stood up in the commons and said that Patrol dogs were being used to "Deter Drones" Literally the most stupid thing said this year in the commons!

Some great info in you're post Alex, and sorry to hear about your spoiled hols.

I'm kind of tempted to don the tin foil hat because the response is just so laughable and inept. False flag? Test run for some soon to be seen somthing or other? Foreign power (putin)? Alien cover up? :tinhat:

Two things that I don't understand;

• 'sightings of a drone' - what do they mean? Surely modern radar can tell them exactly what and where it is? For that matter, can it not point them to where it originates?
  • Surely I can't be the only person that thinks that someone should make an anti-drone drone?

Latest posts

Back