Equipment storage advise/tips

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had to move my brewing kit to the loft for storage in-between brews (no longer enough room in my gaff). I have a Grainfather G30, GF conical and a sparge water heater. I'm worried storing in the loft during winter could cause issues with the electrical components and/or general corrosion. It's not an especially damp loft, just gets cold in winter and there is occasional light condensation in certain areas but generally dry.

To combat this I purchased some jumbo sized vacuum bags to keep out moisture etc. I proceeded to wrap each piece in bubble wrap and duly vacuum packed individually. I checked today and predictably they haven't held the seal (I purposely brought more expensive bags for supposed stronger durability). There was plenty of room in each bag and no edges pushing through the plastic.
I can't be bothered to research other bags as I assume they would all fail the task.

So any ideas on alternatives to cover and store?

Hope the above make sense.

A million thanks in advance.

Thanks for the replies.

Good idea ref the moisture trap. Will try that if no other pearls of wisdom are offered (as was hoping an alternative to vacuum bags would be suggested).

Loft conditions are generally fine so that isn't a concern.

Basically how does everyone else on the for store their equipment?

Thanks..

Your loft should have adequate ventilation to avoid condensation and avoid the need to bag/wrap the equipment. In general better to leave uncovered.

Mines in the shed. I've only ever had issues with the siphon lines which seem to go mouldy internally, and I have to toss them.
Ingredients are in the freezer (hops) or atop the wardrobe in the spare room (malt).

I keep my gear in the shed, which gets much more damp than I expect your loft does. No issues.
But another alternative would be to run a dehumidifier for a couple of hours a day. If it is a cold loft you would need a dessiccant dehumidifier.

I store all my kit in the loft when it's not in use, I don't have anywhere else for it to go. I have my plastic FV up there and all the other bits in a plastic box. Not had any issues yet, apart from having to shift everything up and down the ladder.

I have a similar setup. It’s in the shed.

I would worry about putting things in the loft because rodents do make it into the loft for some reason.
We keep our Christmas tree and Christmas bits in plastic storage boxes up there

They get more nibbled every year, I think they would eat the cables.

No idea why or what is up there, but it must be something. It’s clean with a foot of insulation, perhaps they Kip up there.

Latest posts

Back