Fermentation finishing early?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adri123

Reaction score
Hi

I set off a brew of Wherry on Thursday at 5pm. There was plenty of fermentation going on 24 hours later. Now looks like there's hardly any fermentation going on at all.

Is there something wrong or is this the way it should go? On the pack it says 6-8 days in the fv. I count it's been 4 days.

I had an aquarium heater in there and it's been at 20 degrees all the time.

TIA

Adri

Sounds fine. I'd be tempted to leave it 'til 14 days before I bottled/kegged to allow it to clear. It's especially important if you bottle. You don't want to have loads of yeast and trub material in the bottom when you pour, you might waste the last inch, which is unforgiveable!
Many like to transfer it to a second vessel to clear, but it's not essential. Still, if you do that you can get your next brew on quicker :cheers:

If leaving it until day 14 would you turn off the heater?

I think I'll wait until day 8 and keg. Need to get another brew on.

The way I'm thinking is one FV to 2 kegs. That way I should always have a beer in a keg.

TIA

Adri

I'd wait till day 8 then take heater out...then wait till day 14 before kegging.

You need to use a hydrometer to know if it is ready to bottle/keg. When it's been constant for 3 days (and about where you expect it to be) then it is ready. Airlock or visible activity is no indication of the progress of the fermentation. You get a lag period followed by a couple of days of high activity and then it continues to ferment for some time. The yeast needs time to clean up after itself so I always leave the beer for 2 weeks before bottling.

A second FV is cheap enough, if you've got the space. If the hydrometer reading is steady you definately need to turn any heat off. It will clear up better that way.

I'm Having the same trouble with this. Having to Shake and swing the the FV almost daily. I started with a SG of 1034 and currently riding at 1009 its been in the FV for 3weeks now :shock: which is way longer than Id like to leave anything on the dead yeast.

But I don't trust transferring to a clean FV with so little action going on. Id much prefer to bottle than Keg it but I suppose that's my only option given the distance to go would also like to get another festive ale on before Christmas

Using the calculator to even get 4% Ill need a final read of 1004

To quote the famous Bob I got "Wherry Whery Worries"

If your Wherry is at 1.009 then it is finished although the OG should've been more like 1.042. My Wherry finished at 1.014.

Hulpy said:
I started with a SG of 1034 and currently riding at 1009

The measured SG of a kit can be irrelevant because the water & extract may not have been stirred thoroughly enough to get a correct reading (the yeast will do it for you during fermentation), just go off the manufacturers instructions for SG.

At 1.009 it's finished, get it packaged !

:drink:

Thanks guys come to think of it my stirring might have been less vigorous than usual with it being a two can kit! hence the low SG reading.

That's good enough for me will bottle tonight (actually might transfer to a higher surface and let it settle first) Just hope its not tainted from so long on the Leys.

Haven't yet tried my Wherry yet, although it's been 6 weeks in the bottle so should be ready. OG was 1043 and FG was 1008 having been bottled after about 15 days in the FV. I found it quite slow to start the fermentation fearing the infamous fate of the 'stuck Wherry'. Just needed time.

In my eagerness to bottle I don't think i left it long enough to settle on a higher surface prior to bottling.

Meaning it i will still get quite a lot of sediment in the bottom of the bottle despite leaving a good 2litres at the bottom of the fv. :doh:

Oh well we live and learn starting to get clearer in the bottles already though.

bottled cloudy not happy

heavy sediment in all bottles definatly recomend moving to a second pressurised vessel before bottling

possibly got a bit greedy, i must say i always recommend 2 fvs got 34btls of that!!

we live and learn :doh:

Back